Wireless COMS - URGENT

willbob8

Dear all,

I am the SM of a production at school and we are doing a performance tomorrow. We are having some comms difficulties.

We were originally going to buy 2 way radios, but we don't have any money in the budget. We will need me to be able to cue to at least 6 people, preferably more like 8 or 9. We have numerous iPhones and a few iPads and a wifi network.
They need to be wireless due to the layout of the area.
We tried Skype today but the members kept dropping out of the call and it didn't work very well at all as you needed a computer to add members to the call, we don't have access to a laptop during the performance.
When we did a cue to cue, I just ended up calling one person and shouting to the rest. the standard phone call worked really well.

What do you suggest we do for comms?

Thank you ever so much

If they are within shouting distance, are they also within flashlight flashing distance? Is there a place you could shine a flashlight or laser pointer that the other person could see, then work out a code for which series of flashes triggers which event? That in combination with a phone call or two, maybe to someone else with a flashlight or laser pointer?

I would be careful using Voxer because it can sometimes have a delay. It might be okay for warnings and standbys, but you wouldn't want a delay on a very important GO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back