Concession Stand

Popcorn doesn't seem like it is very easy to clean up in a lot of cases, but it can generate money. You just have to figure out which is more important to you.
During my high school's shows, we sell bottled water, pop, cookies/brownies, chips, etc. But in our last spring show we did the musical "**** Yankees", so we sold hotdogs. It actually wasn't very messy because the audience members ate the hotdogs before reentering the theater.

Great idea!!! (I mean, great Show-Specific Idea.)

Cookies... cookies are good...
Soda, water, coffee, orange juice.
Brownies at times
Popcorn sounds cool never thought of that one.

Candy though, sounds like you'll let audience members take stuff into the house with them... Let me say, hard candies stick to the floor as well as gum and sticky candies, and they're especially disgusting to pick off the floor. My theatre has a strict, no food in the house rule... I like that rule.

Be careful of what you sell though, because your technicians may want to steal it. This happens a lot in our theatre. Luckily we have some pretty hardcore house managers who carry bamboo sticks with them to beat the unruly techs. Not really but you get the idea I hope.

From a practical perspective, check local codes and ordinances, there may be big differences being selling packaged or pre-prepared food and actually preparing any food on site.

High school here....

We sell only pre-packaged food. What works really well is the 100 calorie pack snacks. Chex Mix, chips, rice krispie treats, Famous Amos Cookies are our best seller (no candy)... The 100 calorie packs are small enough to consume in a 15 minute intermission. For drinks, we serve bottled water ($1.00) and soda ($.50). Soda served in a plastic cup poured from 2 liters...you can almost always find them on sale somewhere for about $1.00 or so (store brand even less). When pricing, always try and sell it for AT LEAST double what you bought it for. We sell flowers before the show and at intermission. $2.00 for each carnation stem (only kind we sell). Includes the green tissue wrap, a "personalized to the show" card and delivery backstage. We make more on flowers than concessions (like two or three times as much).

We tried coffee. That didn't work for us. We sold Starbucks in bottles a few times, but they didn't move to quickly because we couldn't buy them cheap enough to still double the price.

Overall advice....keep it really simple and keep track of your income and expenses. Don't let it turn into a money loser for you.

Mike

What many people don't know is that theaters have to have high prices on concessions. That is where theaters obtain the most profits and otherwise, ticket costs would be through the roof and no one would go to the movies. Source for this article: Good reason exists for movie theater concession prices. Well if you want them to lower concessions then they will be forced to raise the prices of movie tickets. Concessions is how they make enough money to stay open. The problem is movies aren't the cheap form of entertainment they used to be. Aside from the ticket, you might have to have extra money to afford popcorn and a drink.

.....cookies, brownies, pasties.

Pasties???? You're selling the audience pasties???, What kind of show are you producing!!!!

Got a good laugh out of that one!!!!

Depending on your audience and situation, some small theatre groups seem to find they make more by putting out drinks and snacks and accepting voluntary donations rather than by charging fixed prices. You also don't have to deal with taking money or giving change. It's rather amazing how people that would balk at being asked to pay $1 for a cup of soda don't seem to think anything about throwing $1 into the jar after you offer them a cup of soda and some people may donate without even taking any food or drink. However, this doesn't work well if your audience might look at it as an opportunity for free meals.

Pasties???? You're selling the audience pasties???, What kind of show are you producing!!!!

Got a good laugh out of that one!!!!

Not everyone has a taste for them.

At the high school that I work at they do something called dramagrams. It's basiclly a carnation with a note attached that is delivered to the actors after the show. We usually get them donated by a local florist. Aside from that, we do the usual baked goods, soda and water. The biggest issue I'm having currently is getting everyone onboard with the new no food or drink in the house rule. As it's my first year there are some people that are still resistant to change...

At the high school that I work at they do something called dramagrams. It's basiclly a carnation with a note attached that is delivered to the actors after the show. We usually get them donated by a local florist.
We did the same thing, except with chocolates instead of flowers.

We did the same thing, except with chocolates instead of flowers.

We do the same thing, except we have the option of chocolates or flowers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back