Condemended.....

please do not take this seriously, it is meant to be funny.
i like your thinking avkid. find someone who is on the edge of their rocker get them to put you in thier will then ask someone else to push them off thier rocker.......lol

Wow...your system looks similar to ours in our litte theater. Its from about the 50s as well. I do know a few of the problems arent there, but i doubt ours is safe. I assume the one in our large theater is better because while it has something like 80 pipes and a few of them are smaller pipes, the system isnt used as much.

Man I wish that we had a fly system. Our school didn't raise the roof above the stage when they redid the whole school ($30 million), so I doubt they ever will, so we're forced to hang all the lights by going up to them and we don't have any cycs or drops that we can raise and lower.

ship said:
Heck, I was working in a 1926 theater that was still using it’s original pipe. Pipe is pipe.
That's the same boat I'm in, except our school is slightly older. However, we're working on building a new school and we're moving in this winter.

propmonkey said:
well we had the inspection today. we need the entire fly-system replaced..... he said "its where you want to start and where you want to stop."

There was an article in PLSN about a new type of fly system that uses chain hoists that can be placed anywhere above the stage and they are all controlled by computer. It turns out that that method is cheaper and faster to set up than a conventional system, in addition to its other obvious advantages. Plus it is a system you could add hoists to when you get the money, so the cost can be somewhat spread out. I would bring that up in a meeting.

Radman said:
propmonkey said:
well we had the inspection today. we need the entire fly-system replaced..... he said "its where you want to start and where you want to stop."

There was an article in PLSN about a new type of fly system that uses chain hoists that can be placed anywhere above the stage and they are all controlled by computer. It turns out that that method is cheaper and faster to set up than a conventional system, in addition to its other obvious advantages. Plus it is a system you could add hoists to when you get the money, so the cost can be somewhat spread out. I would bring that up in a meeting.

Such a system has been for the past couple of years also while respected, also thoroughly trashed on stagecraft for good reasons.

No matter the system, there is advantages and problems with them. Nothing is so far perfect.

The dismantelment has begun. They have been here since 9am, they have all but 4 pipes down(out of 30) and when i just checked they have 7 arbors out. I hear they will be done by friday. they are replacing the 3 electrics and dead hanging the main act curtian and back drop. we going with a 5 year plan of replacement. ill post some pictures tomorrow.

Good to hear you are getting new stuff, even if it's just pipes. I have someone coming to our auditorium tomorrow to see what can be done in terms of new lighting control. I want to have out 1971 dimmers controlled by DMX. The technology to do that exists, but he thinks he can do something better for cheaper.

Hey... its better than having something fall on your heads... the local high school's auditorium really needs to be inspected... but not because of the rigging, thats about the only thing in the place thats safe... well... actually... all the rigging excpet the fire curtain...

here are some pics i took and posted quite a while ago... the captions are out dated...

http://shsauditorium.blogspot.com

doesn't work, need password

whoops....all fixed forgot to make it public

Cool! Do you know, are they putting in that hemp rope for handline, or is that what they took out?

it will be new synthetic. it was in the box. right now we have to find a way to get weights. all of ours currently dont fit. i talked to the school machinist he said h will be able too. but we need atleast 45 by friday. we also found a place that will water cut them for free but we dont knwo how fast they can do it.

Water cutting might go pretty fast, though if not you could have the school do some and the water jet do the rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back