Conductor Monitors- General questions

Aaron Clarke

Okay, I secured the funding and the install skills to have a couple of "conductor monitors" installed on our balcony rail just like some of you pros have, well so we hope.

I've talked latency and install issues out with our knowledgeable AV guy and have confidence in our ability to leap those hurdles. My big unknown (as it is with everyone) is the performers and directors. I have talk with a few of our music directors and some of our more frequent performers and they raised some legitimate concerns I just don't have the experience to address or answer.

Note: Balcony rail is about 18' above the stage height and about 25-30' from the proscenium. We have two gaps these would fit about 10' wide. The rail then has three groups of lights (S4 at 575w) Left, Center, Right.

Here are the questions I just can't answer.

Performers POV-
I'm already blinded by the lights, how will I see the monitor between the lights?
(My input: We work with novice volunteer designers so while I personally only use the rail fixtures for specials and very rarely for wash could ease most other don't and stick with the good ol' deer in headlights look)

Directors POV-
Won't that spill light, especially in black outs, on the stage.
(My input: Video black is not black, there will be some spill, arguably since I can't get a music director to control the brightness, and color temp of music stands lights I'm going to say it would be far less than the pit musician light spill when we have them. I also figure if its a truly light sensitive show and since one goal would be to allow directors to have to use the pit, we could always have the ability to at least put them to video black when needed)

Music Directors- (I'm not a musician at all, so this was where I felt very in the dark.
a) One raised the issue of when they are in the pit they obviously can make eye contact and it can be very easy for a performer to know the music director is pointing or directing at them. How to directors do this over a video?
b) Concern over music director was raised about being undisturbed back stage as we often would use this with "CD" tracks and not live music, so the "conductor is the only one really and they are just guiding the performers. (I'm presuming a conductor room with a good size monitor for the conductor is ideal)

This group has produced a few shows with the musicians and conductor not "in front" or the performers with varying success and methods and I see a lot of excitement to do this but also assume it will be quite a learning curve for most to get use to it.

Thanks for any advice or input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back