Connecting Double Sided Hollywood Flats

Branway

Hi there!

I am wondering what the best way is to connect a straight line of double-sided Hollywood flats that are painted on both sides? I've attached a screenshot of the numbered flats to give you an idea of what we're trying to achieve.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 3.04.46 PM.png

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!

How critivcal is it that you have a perfect surface? Typically, in the display world, you'd use a cam-lok type device and have a 3/8" hole at the top and bottom so you can latch them together. Barring that I would probably put locating dowels in the adjoining stiles then span the top with a piece of Luan or 1/4" ply.
Hey, Welcome aboard BTW. Always goo to see a fellow Portlander.

Van, thank you so much for your input! A perfect surface isn't 100% necessary. I found some useful "panel locks" from Rose Brand which may do the trick after you mentioned cam-lok devices. For some time we've been using flat framing brackets at the bottom and top of the panels but since these panels are moved frequently, screwing in ruins the surface. Still open to other ideas, of course!

Panel-Lock-9288.jpeg

I would usually suggest loose pin hinges, but since these are double sided, I would go with coffin locks as well

Van, thank you so much for your input! A perfect surface isn't 100% necessary. I found some useful "panel locks" from Rose Brand which may do the trick after you mentioned cam-lok devices. For some time we've been using flat framing brackets at the bottom and top of the panels but since these panels are moved frequently, screwing in ruins the surface. Still open to other ideas, of course!

View attachment 20255
Also Check out Norse latches, their prices can be better as they are not industry specific. If you only have a few walls Rosebrand is probably your best bet.

I've done some where we added strips on the stiles to essentially create a tounge-and-groove between the flats. This kept the surfaces flush while allowing up/down variability needed to deal with a non-level floor. (This was an event in a tent.) Bottoms screwed down to the deck with angle irons and tops spanned with 1x that crossed the seams between flats to create stiffness.

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.30.25 AM.jpg

Reactions: Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back