Connecting LED Tape

Robert F Jarvis

I'm sticking a lot of rows of LED RGB Tape onto some shaped luan. I've done this before and had to cut numerous short connecting wires to bridge the little metal pads found on along the tape. Then have to solder same. A long and intense job. Given strips of LED tape anthything from 4" to 26" is there and easier way to join their electrical lines together?

Attachments

• LED Tape Questoin.jpg
    LED Tape Questoin.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 140
I'm curious about the cost of just a bunch of little PCBs that had the correct spacing for the pads that you could just do it that way. Would you need the to flexible or is a normal rigid PCB good?

I like this, but I see 2 caveats, to do a "U" you need to use 2, and the strips would now be reversed every other row, a 2 layer PCB might allow for the same wiring configuration with no reversing. Just some thoughts...

The connectors work well with pixel strings so it is definitely possible to lay them out in a U bend without any concern for crossover. Rotate alternating strips 180 degrees. Same idea as above on a somewhat larger footprint.

20200118_012855613_iOS (Small).jpeg

1660091361793.png

1660091394929.png

See the above images, known as PCB castellations. I was going to draw something up this week just because I’m curious. Small PCBs are so cheap these days, you could get 100-300ish for 50ish dollars I’m sure.

Here is a solution. You are stuck to the spacing they provide but could work.

When we make like boxes we usually just loop back the tape instead of cutting and soldering together. That only works if the lightbox is deep enough and the LED tape spacing isn't too close to cause the tape to break.

I’ve done something like this.
Here is a solution. You are stuck to the spacing they provide but could work.

When we make like boxes we usually just loop back the tape instead of cutting and soldering together. That only works if the lightbox is deep enough and the LED tape spacing isn't too close to cause the tape to break.
I thonk that looping around and hiding loops maight save a lot, a real lot of work. I'm experimenting tomorrow. Thank you.

I’ve done something like this.
That seped tap
I thonk that looping around and hiding loops maight save a lot, a real lot of work. I'm experimenting tomorrow. Thank you.
That speed tape does look interesting. But how does one use it? If my tape is laying with connect pads face up how then do I solder these things which would require the interconnects face down. Or does one put a blob of solder on tape and put iron on back of tape to melt and secure? or am I missing something?

I have not used them but I am guessing that you would overlap the LED tape with the pads on the speed tape and flow solder between the two.

That seped tap

That speed tape does look interesting. But how does one use it? If my tape is laying with connect pads face up how then do I solder these things which would require the interconnects face down. Or does one put a blob of solder on tape and put iron on back of tape to melt and secure? or am I missing something?
Forgot to mention the Superbright 10mm connectors were 0.99 apiece. Amazon Prime came in at $8.59 for ten - so some saving there. Thanks all - I'm feeling a lot better about this task now.

Unfortunately the Superbight people are not taking calls. Mail box full and customer enquiry form on web site does not accept question!! Shame

Forgot to mention the Superbright 10mm connectors were 0.99 apiece. Amazon Prime came in at $8.59 for ten - so some saving there. Thanks all - I'm feeling a lot better about this task now.
Lordy -answering my own question. I found "Mike"s cell phone. He said you put your LED tape down per norm. Then you lay his tape across at right angles and "vertically" . I.E. You have four 90 deg angle copper pads and put your solder in the corner. If it works neat. But now I have this tape, 10mm connectors and "folded" tape options. Getting close!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back