Connecting nylon rope to aircraft cable

Rainmaker

Hi all. Show coming up has low profile wagons on straight casters, knife in a slot, standard sorta stuff. The only other time I've done a system like this, the aircraft cable attached to the knife went to a winch. For this production, budget dictates that we use manual power.

Is there an effective way to attach the aircraft cable to a a length of rope so that my stagehands can easily pull it? If not, is there a rope and clip recommendation you would have?

For additional info, the wagons are 2*4 stock ripped in half, 3/4 ply tops on side mount, trundle casters. Each is 10' long with a 12' tall, 10' wide studio style flat mounted on the DS edge. The knife is a piece of 1-1/2 x 2" angle steel 1/8" thickness going into a subdeck of 3/4 sanded plywood on 2*3 sleepers.

Terminate the GAC add a shackle tie your rope.

Question is why do you need GAC? Instead just go rope shackle knife.

Wouldnt you just form a loop in the aircraft cable using a thimble and cable clamps? then loop the rope through and tie off with a series of about 4 half hitches.

Well, I could do rope the whole way, I just am unsure of what the best clip/clamp would be. One of the reasons for using the GAC was that the clearances are pretty tight underneath and tying suitable knots in a rope that is thick enough to be comfortable/easy to pull would add a lot of bulk.

Well, I could do rope the whole way, I just am unsure of what the best clip/clamp would be. One of the reasons for using the GAC was that the clearances are pretty tight underneath and tying suitable knots in a rope that is thick enough to be comfortable/easy to pull would add a lot of bulk.

For sure.

Wouldnt you just form a loop in the aircraft cable using a thimble and cable clamps? then loop the rope through and tie off with a series of about 4 half hitches.
Can't tie knots...tie lots. I am sure there are better hitch solutions than 4 half hitches that would sit flatter. And most rope will have some stretch to it so be sure to compensate for that.
Have a great day
Geoff

Can't tie knots...tie lots. I am sure there are better hitch solutions than 4 half hitches that would sit flatter. And most rope will have some stretch to it so be sure to compensate for that.
Have a great day
Geoff
since the half hitches follow their way down the rope, they dont make a big glob. Actually a pretty thin solution as knots go 3 rope widths max no matter how many hitches you throw. (well you can draw one ray through that gets you to 4) But then again, I may just be a "two bit thimblerigger" whatdoyatalk But just to make sure we're not separated once again by a common language.. I provide the following pictorals. 2 and 4 half hitches. What knot candidate would you propose instead that is more efficient?

IMG_6653.jpg
IMG_6655.jpg

Last edited:
since the half hitches follow their way down the rope, they dont make a big glob. Actually a pretty thin solution as knots go 3 rope widths max no matter how many hitches you throw. (well you can draw one ray through that gets you to 4) But then again, I may just be a "two bit thimblerigger" whatdoyatalk But just to make sure we're not separated once again by a common language.. I provide the following pictorals. 2 and 4 half hitches. What knot candidate would you propose instead that is more efficient?

View attachment 23555View attachment 23556
We might do things a little differently here down under. From my learnings the half hitches need to go the same way and then will form a clove hitch. Your example and mine still has a tail that runs off at 90deg to the rope making a snagging point.
20221022_155139.jpg
20221022_155242.jpg
This other knot is a barrel hitch which puts the tail straight along the rope. A littlelectrical tape and no snagging point.
There are always lots of ways to join a rope to something so it comes down to what you are comfortable with and what works.
Have a great day.
Regards
Geoff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back