Connecting Single Channel Clearcom to 2 channel System

BobHealey

I'm in an auditorium this summer with 6 pin male jacks scattered all over for 2 channel (RS-502) clear com. Unfortunately, I need to add some more stations and all I've got are single channel (3 pin) packs (RS-501) available for the borrowing.

Does the opposite of a YC-36 (2 X 3pin F -> 6 pin M) exist? I'm looking for an off the shelf 6 pin F -> 3pin M or a 6 pin F -> F so I can get creative with the YC-36.

Thanks

I'm in an auditorium this summer with 6 pin male jacks scattered all over for 2 channel (RS-502) clear com. Unfortunately, I need to add some more stations and all I've got are single channel (3 pin) packs (RS-501) available for the borrowing.

Does the opposite of a YC-36 (2 X 3pin F -> 6 pin M) exist? I'm looking for an off the shelf 6 pin F -> 3pin M or a 6 pin F -> F so I can get creative with the YC-36.

Thanks
@BobHealey Keep in mind that two, non-intermatable versions of XLR 6's exist. The Cannon six contact, which I believe came first, and the Switchcraft 6 contact which came later AND is the version Clear-Com has ALWAYS used since they began utilizing 6 contact connectors.
Neutrik, clever folks that they are, manufacture 6 contact XLR's in BOTH formats. If / when purchasing / using XLR 6's be CERTAIN you're ordering the correct connectors; once again: The two formats will NOT mate with each other.
Toodleoo!
Ron ( Don't ask me how I learned this. ) Hebbard

Perhaps worth noting: it doesn't actually have to be a wye in this direction. When faced with a similar situation, I just made the decision that all the single-channel packs would be limited to channel A and made a couple straight 3-to-6 adapters that only connected to A. That way I didn't have to deal with squishing two cables into a single connector and figuring out how to make that not suck. If you wanted the option of either channel, then you could always make separate A & B adapters (clearly labeled, of course).

Also, to elaborate on Ron's caution: the difference between the two styles is that the pins are rotated slightly (relative to the housing). It's pretty obvious when you're holding the two next to each other... basically looks like someone jammed the plastic insert into the shell the wrong way. Neutrik is extra helpful by color coding the plastic inserts gray & black. Gray means "Switchcraft style", and those were the ones I needed.

I'm going the DIY route with a 6->3 adapter. Bought 2 sets of connectors, should hopefully get one working adapter out of it. (My soldering is that bad). Had hoped someone knew of a vendor with an off the shelf item I could have ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back