Connecting to Two Projectors Over a Long Distance?

TheArsonist

At my high school theatre we are planning to send a signal from the booth computer to two rear projectors. Essentially from one end of the theatre to the other. What would be the best way to accomplish this?
It's my understanding that we would need to
1: Split the signal from the computer so it goes into the two projectors
2: Also take the HDMI signal into something that can cover a distance like Cat5/6

Yeah you would need an HDMI splitter, preferably an active one to split the signal. And then HDMI extenders over Cat cable, SDI, or fiber depending on how far you have to go to reach the projectors.

I do usually prefer SDI myself. But one big downside is it won't carry 4k without splitting the signal over 4 SDI lines which isn't really ideal. So if I was doing an somewhat permanent install I would have to favor running Cat 6 or fiber since 4k is going to be getting more and more common.

I do usually prefer SDI myself. But one big downside is it won't carry 4k without splitting the signal over 4 SDI lines which isn't really ideal. So if I was doing an somewhat permanent install I would have to favor running Cat 6 or fiber since 4k is going to be getting more and more common.

You can totally do 4k with a single line using 6g or 12g, but I still agree with your point, fiber or net will be more useful in the long run.

none of these answers are wrong, per se, but OP might been in need of some more detailed help...

if you're sending different images to the two projectors, either completely separate images or as two halves of a single blended image, you'll need two physical outputs from the computer. some computers can do this directly, other need specialized hardware. for example any mac that uses the m1 pro, m1 max, m1 ultra, m2 pro, or m2 max processor can support two or more screens via usb-c-to-hdmi or usb-c-to-displayport adapters. if you have one of these macs, you could buy two (relatively) inexpensive usb-c-to-hdmi adapters, and then you'd have 2x hdmi outputs.

to extend hdmi over long distances, you have several options. the simplest (and probably cheapest) is to use hdbaset which is a technology that uses a single cat5e or cat6 cable to carry hdmi video. here's a link to a monoprice kit for $130

hdmi goes into the first box, then CAT6 goes from the first box to the second, up to 70 meters away, then hdmi comes out of the second box.

you'll need one set of boxes for each projector.

if your computer does NOT easily support multiple displays, you'll need to tell us what kind of computer you're using and what software you're using so that we can recommend a compatible device to add video outputs.

In addition, if the same signal is to go to both projectors, then you only need a single output, but will have a distribution amplifier to send the same signal to the two projectors.

Look up fiber HDMI cables on amazon. I was wrangling an SDI installation and trying to fit all the converters and cable into their budget until a janitor walked in with one of these pre-made fiber HDMI's and it worked flawlessly. I couldn't even get a spool of bulk coax in the range those cables cost. 3 yrs later and they are still going fine. Pulled with no issues thru the existing 1" conduit
4k60P at 4:4:4 even though the projectors currently aren't capable, but easy future-proofing. Ran 2 to each projector and uses the control system to switch video there

Amazon fiber HDMI

Depending on your viewing distance, you might re evaluate your need for true 4k. I'm projecting some backgrounds with good old vga resolution, and since the nearest audience member is 30 feet or more away, it's all I really need. I have a VGA to cat5e converter powered little box at each end, and a simple vga splitter cable to provision each projector. VGA to cat 5e boxes are pretty cheap.. especially in an environment where they possibly get tossed in a drawer, and 2 years later someone says.. where's this? or what's this?

Is this going to be a permanent install? Temporary? I'm a fan of the Gofanco boxes you can find on Amazon. There's a couple that convert to HDBaseT and have splits built in. Unless you're going over 1000' I don't see a need for anything other than copper.

Might consider putting the source computer(s) closer to the projectors and have a hand backstage cue them. Could be cheaper and easier than installing cable.

You could also possibly control them remotely from the booth via VNC or SSH. A raspberry pi often tucks nicely out of sight on top of a projector, and VideoLAN Client is controllable from the command line, VNC, HTTPS, and has third party remote apps.

You could go further with that approach and connect the pi to the projector’s RS232 input to trigger a blackout while you cue the media, then activate the display for playback, then blackout again.

If you wanna go completely nuts, with some python scripting and a DMX interface, you could conceivably fire it all from the board…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back