Sound f/x Connecting Yamaha Rev 500 to Allen & Heath GL3000 Mixer

jfremm

Hello, I am in charge of the audio for a play production our high school is doing. We're doing the Hobbit and for the dragon scene, we are going to have a lapel microphone on the dragon so he is loud and I want to add a reverb effect to the microphone so it sounds more aggresive . I realized our reverb system Yamaha Rev 500 is not connected to our mixer. Can someone please instruct me on how to do this? Thank you so much!

Mod note: The thread title has been updated from originally referencing an A&H Zed Mixer

Last edited by a moderator:
re: Connecting Yamaha Rev 500 to Allen & Heath GL3000 Mixer

What model Zed and mic are you using? If mixer has a channel insert, you just need to get an insert cable to go off the L side of the reverb unit.

Someone can check me on this, but I think if you don't have an insert, you will have to get your mic through the reverb, then to the mixer, which will involve matching db settings, and possibly needing a transformer of some sort if your wireless doesn't have a -10db or +4db output setting to match the reverb unit. This can be easy or messy, depending on your equipment.

Last edited:

What kind of mixer will you be using? This will determine how you go about it.

If you have an unused aux send on that board, you can use that to feed the reverb unit. Use the aux out, patch that to the input of the reverb unit, take the output of the reverb unit and plug it into an ununsed channel of the board (or an aux return if you do not have a spare channel). Now, go to your mic channel strip and turn up the knob of what ever aux you are using to feel the reverb unit. This will supply the unit with an input. You will now have a "dry" mic channel for the mic (your original channel) and the "wet" channel from the reverb unit. Mix them as you would any other input to achieve your desired effect.

If you post the make and model of your board, we can let you know if this will work with your particular situation.

~Dave

Sorry for the error. :oops: I just got in from driving 4,200 miles over the last 5 days to and from a funeral. I apologize for the glaringly obvious oversight. Thanks for the correction Chris!

In light of this news, the information in my previous post is accurate to the situation, as long as you have a spare aux send and channel or aux return available.

~Dave

allen-heath

Zed product page
from there you can download the user guide. for whichever model you have

the channel insert would be one way of patching the processor. another way would be to patch from an AUX (post fader) output to the device input (send) and then from the processor output back to a channel (return).

at the back of the user guide there are several typical use diagrams, those are very informative but they may not address your specific needs.
be sure to study your models block diagram, to get a clear idea on the signal path within the board

Last edited:

It's an A&H Zed series, per the the thread title ;)
But which specific model? Some ZED models have integrated effects, some do not. Some models have channel inserts, others do not. Some have mixes of multiple pre, post and switchable aux sends, others have a single pre-fader aux output and a single post-fader 'FX' output. Thus the options possible, the nomenclature on the mixer and possibly even the wiring involved are going to be model dependent.

But which specific model? Some ZED models have integrated effects, some do not. Some models have channel inserts, others do not. Some have mixes of multiple pre, post and switchable aux sends, others have a single pre-fader aux output and a single post-fader 'FX' output. Thus the options possible, the nomenclature on the mixer and possibly even the wiring involved are going to be model dependent.
The mixer is actually a GL3000

Use a 1/4" cable from the Aux 5 output into the LEFT 1/4" input on the REV500.

Use 2 1/4" cables from the L and R outputs on the REV500 and plug them into the return 1 left and right 1/4" inputs.

Go into the setup menu (not sure what it is called) on the REV500 and set it up for mono input and stereo output.

On the channel strip, each Aux5 knob now gives you the reverb for that channel.

On the upper right part of your mixer, the return 1 knob gives you the overall output of the reverb to the entire mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back