Connection of MA Dot2 with Enttec open DMX USB

Hi, I have a question regarding the connection of MA Dot2 with Enttec open DMX USB. Until now I tried to connect it through Art-Net to DMX from FreeStyler, but after a while of using it, Art-net suddenly crashes and the software has to be restarted. I even tried it on different PC devices and the same thing happens everywhere, so I’m looking for a software, with which I could connect MA Dot2 to Enttec open DMX USB. It would be awesome if you had a link of a connection tutorial. I tried looking for it, but I didn’t find anything helpful. Thank you very much.

The 'open' class of usb to dmx interfaces relies on the host computer or device for packet timing, and as such can be less than reliable. I suspect that is where your issue is coming from. For just a little more money you can get the DMX King micro (just as an example) that has an internal processor for timing. FreeStyler should probably run all day with one.
However, it's not clear how you are using both Art-Net and USB with the Enttec unit. Any Enntec Open I've seen is USB only, so maybe I'm missing the point.

Thank you for your response. I'm sending you a video to better understand how I use it. My problem is that I need to find a replacement for Art-net to dmx because Art-Net suddenly crashes after a while of using. I searched the internet for people with a similar problem, but it looks like only I have this problem. Therefore, I need to change Art-Net to DMX software from FreeStyler for another software but I can't find any similar.

Video:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
*Art-Net to DMX software is used in time 4:50

You have your usb power setting set to max/max? Cause it sounds like every PC you move to is doing the same thing then I would take that into consideration.

If you are asking if MA onPC will work with it, yes it will. You will just have to set it up correctly.

The hardest thing you will have to tackle is using MA to do what you need it to do for you. You are basically going from whiffle ball to MLB. Have fun.

It was pretty ingenious to think of using the FreeStyler package to do a network to usb layer. But for my money adding a layer also adds problems - as you've experienced. I would rather spend the extra $62 (Enttec open - $67, DMXking eDMX1 Pro - $129) for the ease-of-use and peace-of-mind that will give. I try to go down only one rabbit hole at a time.

I would have to agree with @dbaxter that this youtube solution may have reliability issues. If you are determined to making your Open Dmx hardware work then you might look at Open Lighting Architecture. It can be set up to accept ArtNet in and transmit DMX out. This would generally require an additional computer running the OLA interface software and a switch. The advantage to this is that you are putting the timing demands that the Open DMX interface requires onto a separate platform. There is also a support community.

I use this exact method to control LED tape in my bedroom using MA dot2! Every few days, I have to restart the ArtNet to DMX software or disconnect and reconnect the USB-DMX dongle I am using.

Try finding and downloading a previous version of Onyx (formerly M-PC). On this "supported hardware" page, they describe that the software could output to an ENTTEC USB DMX device prior to release 4.2.1057. I believe that in such a powerful software such as Onyx, there is capability to accept input ArtNet data (from dot2) and then output it to the ENTTEC dongle. You could also consider using Onyx instead of dot2 for all your control.

Otherwise, I would try getting new hardware that outputs DMX directly from ArtNet/sACN. I think the Chauvet DJ DMX-AN2 is the cheapest branded node for around $150. If you scour eBay, you may be able to find an ArtNet/sACN node for under $100.

Question about Dot2 for PC since it's discontinued.
Is there something else that people have moved to? I was looking at MA3 on pc but it's hard to discern what you get for free.

Screen Shot 2021-11-08 at 10.08.27 AM.png

For background, I was using dot2 on pc in a limited capacity space because it was free, but worried that support will end or Windows update will break it at some point.

I was looking at MA3 on pc but it's hard to discern what you get for free.
grandMA3 onPC may be downloaded for free, but to output any live DMX data, you must have MA hardware: console, NPU, onPC node.

worried that support will end or Windows update will break it at some point.
In my experience with Dot2 onPC, the last release is quite stable with very few bugs. Though support is ended, it will continue to function well. Windows is also known for being extremely backwards-compatible friendly. I can still run and install software as old as Martin LightJockey.

Is there something else that people have moved to?
Onyx for PC is another option that has (1) free universe. This is less than the previous (4) free universes, though, so they may continue restricting its free use.

Here is a pretty summative list of DMX control software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back