Connector ID

Robert

Electrol.png Electrol 2.png Looking to ID this connector to buy replacement parts. Looks like a Molex, so I've contacted them, but looking here for input too. Off an old Electrol Dimmer rack. #8 AWG wire.

Looks like Anderson Powerpole.

View attachment 16166 View attachment 16167 Looking to ID this connector to buy replacement parts. Looks like a Molex, so I've contacted them, but looking here for input too. Off an old Electrol Dimmer rack. #8 AWG wire.
@Robert Anderson Power-con. Totally modular: Different shells, different contacts. Different ratings. Different colors. May be user configured into endless configurations. When I was building automation systems, our shop purchased the tooling for crimping the contacts. I found I could easily solder them prior to inserting the contacts into their shells. GREAT connectors for assembling limited runs in the world of perpetual prototypes also fully approved and recognized by testing agencies. I had zero problem getting our assemblies approved by TUV in Germany as well as London's West End, New York's Broadway or anywhere here in Canada. You'll also find them in Strand CD80 portable dimmer packs.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

@Robert Anderson Power-con. Totally modular: Different shells, different contacts. Different ratings. Different colors. May be user configured into endless configurations. When I was building automation systems, our shop purchased the tooling for crimping the contacts. I found I could easily solder them prior to inserting the contacts into their shells. GREAT connectors for assembling limited runs in the world of perpetual prototypes also fully approved and recognized by testing agencies. I had zero problem getting our assemblies approved by TUV in Germany as well as London's West End, New York's Broadway or anywhere here in Canada. You'll also find them in Strand CD80 portable dimmer packs.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.
Yep! Thanks

Yeah, this rack is at least 20 yeas old. I think we made our money back. As much as I dislike some of the peculiarities of the rack, there are some cool features. Like voltage control from 10 volts to 120 volts and the ability to drive tungsten and inductive loads. That is amazing to me.

Yeah, this rack is at least 20 yeas old. I think we made our money back. As much as I dislike some of the peculiarities of the rack, there are some cool features. Like voltage control from 10 volts to 120 volts and the ability to drive tungsten and inductive loads. That is amazing to me.
@Robert Did you ever post the make and model of rack? I've re-read the entire thread and I don't believe I've seen mention of it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Picture #1 says "ELECTROL 36 CH". Electrol Engineering Corp. was bought by Lex Products in 2006. http://www.lexproducts.com/news/items/2006/lex-products-acquires-electrol-engineering-corp
@Robert @derekleffew Greatly appreciated the link to the manual, this blind guy squinted and read it from cover to cover. In so doing I observed it's quite thorough but contains at least three typo's that got past their proof-readers prior to going to press. One I enjoyed was where neutral became "neural" (sans the 'T') If they were offering neural connectors and / or sensing technology that many years ago I can understand why you're impressed with the rack.
Another typo I enjoyed was when they reiterated the description of their DMX connectors several times, mostly correctly stating they were 5 contact gold flashed XLR's but in one instance specifically stating they were using 4 contact XLR's FOR their DMX.
My VERY favorite typo involves their "optical" power input connectors. Optical transmission of any serious amount of power is such 'bleeding edge' new technology I'm amazed at their inclusion of "Optical" connectors for their dimmer rack's input power.
From page six of their manual: "Optical power input connectors are available, such as 75A powerlocks, contact factory."
I'm still chuckling but surely they intended to type OPTIONAL rather then "Optical".
@BillConnerFASTC I'm in full agreement and support of your recent post regarding published official documentation and the amount of "professionally" polished details and basic omissions that make it out the door and well beyond.
Thanks for today's entertainment LEX / Electrol.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

After teaching for 15 years in the university, I quit proof-reading. I instead spent my time teaching students a vocabulary that would allow them to effectively communicate. I figured that if they could stand up in front of a class and communicate ideas on design and technical theatre, that one day they would be able to write properly.

This was one of my favorite videos to show the first day in class. I mean, nobody is ready to learn the first day. I remember that from being a student!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Definitely Powerpole connectors; the same shell accepts 15A (14AWG), 30A (12AWG) and 40/45A (10 AWG) connectors. I can't tell for sure, but those look like 10AWG wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back