connector type

simchapup

Lighting Technician
There is alight board in theatre that i work at it is not a dmx connection i didnt take the connection off so i could not tell you the pins and stuff inside but its basicly a giant rectangle and i wanted to know what it is the board is a old leperchaun board any info would be appreciated

yup, from your description it is a jones connector. these connectors were/are used for analog lighting systems, and have more pins because the data isn't in a multiplex format.

actually its not data at all... its a 0-10v system... ie 9.5 volts runs the dimmer at 95 percent.... you can get converters to dmx but they will cost you....

With a DMX-Anolog converter. They run in the area of about $800 I believe. The reason it is so expensive is that you are not merely converting connector, but between two COMPLETELY different protocols. I believe the two things they have in common is that they use electricity and run down a wire. :)

Considering the price, unless the board is really good, just get a low-cost NSI or Elation board for the same price as a protocol converter. Make sure to get one with the protocol that you plan to use/are using for your dimmers. DMX, if that's what you're using. Remember that NSI doesn't has DMX as standard, so you have to request it.

I'm thinking that it's a multi-pin Cinch Jones if in giant form. Molex (Multi-pin Electronics Plug Mfr.) www.molex.com is the current manufacturer of them. Perhaps 27 pin.

Mouser Electronics (Electronic Supplies Distr.) www.mouser.com otherwise has a good website to figure them out from. There are other suppliers of this brand of plug but Mouser for other than the standard types goes into a better description and often has more stock in the odd types.

It's a standardized and fairly rugged type of plug much less system. Gee, anyone able to tell that I have been shopping for them recently?

simchapup said:
how can i get a female jones conector to male dmx

Radman said:
With a DMX-Anolog converter. They run in the area of about $800 I believe. The reason it is so expensive is that you are not merely converting connector, but between two COMPLETELY different protocols. I believe the two things they have in common is that they use electricity and run down a wire. :)

Anything is possible, however a DMX to 8-Pin cable would not only be completely inefective, it would likely cause damage to the DMX equipment. I would be astounded if there was a manufacturer of that cable in existence, it would have to be special ordered for sure. And that would only be if you were hurtin real bad for DMX cable and wanted to use a bunch of analog cable instead. Bottom line, you're going to have to come up with some other plan for whatever you're doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back