Connectors needed for handheld halogen

I'm surprised to hear of the problems with halogen lamps that haven't been used for a while. We had many halogen lamps in instruments used for film work, and between jobs they often would be in their cases for weeks or even months. And who knows how long after they were manufactured they made it through the supply chain and to a user? I've never had a problem with them, and we used no dimmers--just turn 'em on when you needed them. Never heard of "warming up" or warming current." Could this problem be an issue with the halogen cycle not "liking" extended periods of very low voltage?

Ship
could you expand on this. It does not make sense to me.

you said
Quartz describes the higher temperature type of glass used on a halogen lamp instead of Soft Lime glass used on incandescent lamps. It's purity and higher operating temperature on a line voltage lamp (84v or higher) will be effected by touching it - oils from the skin, or dirt, or fog goo etc. coating and bonding with the pure glass in having adverse effects to it working properly = including explosion stated above and you learned. A low voltage halogen lamp c. 64v or less does not get hot enough for touching the globe to fail, nor will it explode. Been professionally doing lamps since about 1993 and touching a low voltage lamp has never been the cause of explosion I have seen. Not a bad idea to retain the no touch concept though.

if I understand, you are saying that low voltage halogen lamps will not explode or deform from oil on fingers.

my understanding is that a 12 volt 100 watt lamp will emit the same light / heat as a 120 volt 100 watt lamp. Since the filament size is smaller, the temperature at the filament will likely be greater in the 12volt lamp than the 120 volt lamp. If that is the case, and the need for a quartz envelope / halogen gas is due to heat, I don’t see why a 12 volt hallogen/ quartz lamp would be less susceptible to explosion/ deformation than a 120 volt lamp

Filament size for a 12v lamp is smaller than that of a 120v lamp as a norm to start a debate. 12V is resisting how much in need for it's need for output and lamp life amoungst other details in doing the filament effect burning in a different way than 120v filament. Such filaments are not the same in design or size.

Again, certainly best to follow clean lamp protocols, but a 12v/20w lamp does not need cleaning as a general concept.

No, in some good 12v/100w verses 120v/100w lamp question, (assuming halogen/quartz on both) you raise a really good question. Are they producing a similar lumen output, or are you assuming that? I encourage your study for debate and specically not in any way talking down to you in response. I want to learn more. Let's all learn and study the concepts further.

This is encouragement for the forum and responses in something of interest in learning for all. I certainly have lamp data that can go one way or the other, but I'm old and been in the industry since about 93'. More a question of expanding minds in thinking thru the science and study of next generation.

I encourage further discussion.

Last edited:
Certainly all the bare envelope low voltage halogen lamps that I've bought over the last decades have had a datasheet saying not to touch the envelope with bare hands and to clean it with alcohol if you do, for exactly the same reason we don't touch theatre lamp envelopes; finger grease causes localised degradation, darkening, over heating and premature failure of the envelope.

Filament size for a 12v lamp is smaller than that of a 120v lamp as a norm to start a debate. 12V is resisting how much in need for it's need for output and lamp life amoungst other details in doing the filament effect burning in a different way than 120v filament. Such filaments are not the same in design or size.

Again, certainly best to follow clean lamp protocols, but a 12v/20w lamp does not need cleaning as a general concept.

No, in some good 12v/100w verses 120v/100w lamp question, (assuming halogen/quartz on both) you raise a really good question. Are they producing a similar lumen output, or are you assuming that? I encourage your study for debate and specically not in any way talking down to you in response. I want to learn more. Let's all learn and study the concepts further.

yes. The filament size of a low voltage lamp is typically smaller than a higher voltage lamp. this is ( I assume) why the OP was interested in a low voltage unit. In general it will cast better, more defined shadows.

a 12v /20w lamp May not need special handling ( I don’t have an opinion about that ) but the OP was talking about a 100w lamp.

I was able to do some quick internet search
osram 62138 HLX. 100 w 12v halogen. 50 hours. 2800 lumens ( color not noted )
osram 64292 IXR 150 w. 12v xenon. 600 hours. 6000 lumens. 3250 kelvin

ushio ESN. 100w 120 v halogen. 750 hours. 750 hours. 1800 lumens. 2850 kelvin
ushio 1003099 150w 120v halogen 2000 hours 2800 lumens. 2900 kelvin

( I also saw some interesting 24 volt lamps)

there are no clear comparisons since the lamp life is so different, but it seems to me that the lower voltage lamps give more lumens with a smaller point source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back