Console Choice

JP12687

So my company is about to do a show with a bunch of LED and alot of conventional lighting.

I am supposed to pick out the board. In the past the board i have used was a MA Light/Ultra Light/Micro.

However, i am not very well versed in some of the less mainstream lighting boards that may be out there.

What are my other options?

Do you know how many conventionals and or LED lighting there is going to be and in particular how many DMX channels are going to be required??

Personally (and probably irrationally), I guess I would suggest something out of the Strand 500 series, the 520, is one of my favourite desks and you can get anything from the 510 to the 550 allowing you (according to the specs) 8,192 DMX channels. The 500's have various options and features, however, it would probably be easier to read the specs instead of me listing them.

The other option would be something out of the hog or wholehog line, as I know tonnes of people that place wholehogs above all other desks; and that would give you plenty of channels.

Basically, it all depends how much you have to spend to buy or hire the board... and of course how many channels, however I can't really imagine you would need more than the amount on a hog or something similar...

Anyway, hope that that has been of some help!:grin:

Diarmuid

Might be worth talking to the LED mfr. Color mixing and dimming on these is a bit different than other instruments. A board that has developed some algorithms for handling their instruments might be worth it's weight in gobos when you're programming.

Do you know how many conventionals and or LED lighting there is going to be and in particular how many DMX channels are going to be required??
Personally (and probably irrationally), I guess I would suggest something out of the Strand 500 series, the 520, is one of my favourite desks and you can get anything from the 510 to the 550 allowing you (according to the specs) 8,192 DMX channels. The 500's have various options and features, however, it would probably be easier to read the specs instead of me listing them.
The other option would be something out of the hog or wholehog line, as I know tonnes of people that place wholehogs above all other desks; and that would give you plenty of channels.
Basically, it all depends how much you have to spend to buy or hire the board... and of course how many channels, however I can't really imagine you would need more than the amount on a hog or something similar...
Anyway, hope that that has been of some help!:grin:
Diarmuid

2nd That, if a 520i can't run it, nothing can. As far as running basic LED stuff it should be a good fit, and you can usually rent them for pretty cheap.

I would stick with the ma line, But that is just me. You can always look into a Vista or a compulite vector, both of these are great unique consoles. If you need a demo im sure either company will set one up for you.

JH

I haven't used it, but the Marquee ILC looks like a very nice console. I have been looking at this console alot recently. I don't know how the LED deal would work with it, but I'm pretty sure that it'd work out.

I've been looking at the Marquee ILC myself. The sales rep was focused a lot on how often they update their software and profiles. He said one customer refuesed to buy the board unless it had one specific feature, they added that to the software within a few months and the guy got his board. Haven't used it but the demo was very cool, it looks very easy to learn and slick to operate. I doubt you will have any problems with the profiles not being available for the instruments you are going to use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back