Control/Dimming Console Comparison

The college where I work is looking to replace its antique light console,:twisted: an EDI Troubadour. We are looking at an ETC Smartfade 2496, an ETC Element 60/250, and a Leprecon 1548. Currently, we are using conventional lighting instruments, but may want to incorporate moving lights later on. Are there any suggestions on which we should choose?

The smartfade will be a great board for conventionals, but you'll probably want a computer to connect to it. You need one to get a monitor output, and that dramatically increases the ease of use of the console.

The element is going to be way easier to use, as well as make your life a lot easier for moving lights. Doesn't have encoder wheels, but everything for controlling the lights is up on the monitors. Slightly less functionality when it comes to programming movers than ETCs higher end boards, but still very use friendly and functional.

No personal experience with the 1548, but it doesn't look to have any moving light functionality.

When buying a new console, I recommend overbuying (paying for more functions than you'll use), rather than buying for how you use it now.

Do you mind letting us know what kind of system you've got now? Number of dimmers and usages of your space? That can make all the difference in console selection.

Use of the console is very important. Is this theater? Concert? Multi-use? How many dimmers? Do you regularly rent supplemental equipment?

If this is for educational theater use, I would say Smartfade and Leprecon are completely out. You should be looking for a console that will help train the students for what they will be using in the future. And the vast majority of professional theaters are going to have the Express(ion)/Light Palette or better variety of console. While Smartfade and Leprecon 1500 are good consoles for a specific purpose, that purpose is not professional theater.

Personally, I don't like the Element, but of the three you mention, that is definitely the one I would get. Purchasing a console for a college theater program today, I'd say it has to be at the very least these 3 things: fully memory based with monitor(s), move fade/tracking, utilize multi-parameter channels. If not any of these things, you are doing your students an injustice.

All of the above is assuming you have the money available to get the necessary console. If not, then having any console is still better than none.

There are literally dozens of threads on here about purchasing a new console, including a sticky at the top. Take a look at all of those.

-Tim

The college where I work is looking to replace its antique light console,:twisted: an EDI Troubadour. We are looking at an ETC Smartfade 2496, an ETC Element 60/250, and a Leprecon 1548. Currently, we are using conventional lighting instruments, but may want to incorporate moving lights later on. Are there any suggestions on which we should choose?

Before you choose a console, you'll need to know that you'll also probably need to purchase a DMX to Analog converter to be able to connect it to your dimmers.

With that out of the way....

The SmartFade and Leprecon are not bad boards. However, they are not designed to make nice with moving lights, LEDs or DMX Accessories. The SmartFade ML, at about $2300, adds functionality for these instruments and devices. As said previously, you really need to connect a computer to get the most most easily out of the SmartFade.

The Element is the console of choice for new purchases at many small or smaller theaters across the country. It allows you to learn the basics of the EOS Family, with built in faders, at a relatively low price. That said, do you need 60 subs at any given time? You could save about $1000 and get the 40 fader version which still allows 120 channels to be available pretty quickly. If you do purchase moving lights in the future, a single touch screen monitor can make the programming of them easier (I know, I'm coming over to the touchscreen dark side), which $600 will get you. That will allow you $250 with which to buy an Ipod, the iRFR app and a wireless router to have a wireless remote. $150 left in pocket (account?). That will cover a DVI monitor to have as your second display. Even with only conventionals you really want two displays for the EOS Family.

Well, that is my view on things. Element for sure!

PS: Have knowledge of using an Express, Expression, Strand or ColorTran? You can operate the Element but you don't know how to use it. Invest time in learning how to actually program the EOS Family because they make almost EVERYTHING easier.

You could just Make a Video to Show Why You Deserve A New FREE Console!! and get a fantastic console for nothing at all! From the looks of the entries that have been made public, even a hastily-done video has an excellent shot at winning you a console. (Meaning no offense to the videos already posted, just commenting on the small quantity of entries.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back