Console Recommendation for High School + Theatre Academy?

Hi all!

Thank you all for the useful advice, and sorry for the delay in posting something here -- other events caused us to take a hiatus in purchasing the new board.

After talking to a sales representative from one of the school's approved vendors, my adviser now wants to purchase the ChamSys MagicQ 60. It looks to be an okay console overall, but I have two main issues with it:
  1. Ease of Use: After looking at the product pages and watching some tutorial videos, the software (in my opinion) seems to be less intuitive than ETC's Eos. Here's the way I view it: Any teacher at the school or new lighting crew member would want to go to the console and get the lights running with a minimal learning curve. In my opinion, the easiest way to use the console is by seeing a physical layout of the lights (in other words, a magic sheet on Eos), selecting the ones I want on a touchscreen (or by tapping an onscreen button to select a group), and then using a physical wheel or encoder to control it. The ChamSys MagicQ 60 only supports this "plot"-style operation through the use of an external computer networked to the console -- and the learning curve would be increased if everyone who wants to access the system would have to boot up the board, get a networked PC working, and know how to navigate to the right screen in the ChamSys software. The fact that the "magic sheet" or "plot" is not natively in the console was a deal-breaker for me being in support of this console. (However, my opinion carries little weight -- I am a senior at the school and will graduate in six months, so we ideally need something that less-experienced members and our crew adviser, who doesn't have much experience in lighting, can easily operate.)
  2. Practicality of Learning: As I mentioned in my original post, if the school is investing in a board that would last at least ten years, it should be something that represents what's actually found in the industry. From what I understand, ETC and Eos seem to be the industry-standard line of consoles, whereas ChamSys is one of the less-popular brands. I just feel that it would be a waste to train future students on a ChamSys board, and then have them move onto college or the industry only to have to learn a completely different system.
The main reasons why my adviser liked the board:
  • Besides what was listed above, the console seems to meet all of our other needs.
  • The $6,500 price tag of the ChamSys console is significantly less than the $10,500 cost of an Ion (which is what I recommended to him). When trying to order, it would be much easier to get a $6,500 order approved than one that is over $10,000. (My response to this would be to recommend an ETC Element 2, since that board is about the same price as the ChamSys. I would also argue that "if this board is supposed to last us at least ten years, it's worth the extra $3,000 upfront to get the Ion since it gives us room to expand (due to the encoders and DMX outputs).")
So, before we end up purchasing something, I have a couple questions for you all:
  • What are your thoughts on the MagicQ 60 versus one of ETC's models (whether it be the Element or the Ion)?
  • From what I've been reading, the main advantage of the MagicQ over Eos seems to be easier busking. Easy busking is important, since most of our shows throughout the year aren't necessarily "theatrical" (we do have some pre-programmed plays and musicals, but most events just need to quickly have lights running). In my mind, busking is just as easy on ETC's side after some magic sheets are initially set up (which I can do before I graduate) -- what do you guys think?
  • If any of you have experience using the MagicQ line: How well do you think it would meet my school's needs?
Thank you all again -- Your opinions and input are greatly appreciated!

- Chris
Having used MagicQ and EOS I find that EOS is much more suited for theatrical applications (even designed for them). MagicQ is no easier to learn than EOS, Avolites, etc IMO. In some ways MagicQ is easier for busking moving lights (not conventionals!) but only in the fact that it takes less setup to do so, you still have to do programming. Personally I've never had any issues busking on EOS given I have faders. You just have to have sufficient prep time to build your setup and program like you do on any other console.
When it comes to theatrical applications the EOS wins hands down.

Generally, I recommend Avolites over MagicQ. But it works quite the same.

For most situations where I find people balking at the price tag of an ION, I generally suggest NOMAD with a programming wing, or if wanting to go cheaper X-Keys or Cherry Keyboard and possibly a MIDI fader board via luminous. A setup like that can be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than an ION for those who just can't justify the cost.

A huge bonus for busking that I haven't really explored is that NOMAD now comes with Hog 4 PC! I have never used Hog, but I have heard some people love it. So its worth knowing that there is a more busking console that comes with NOMAD now.

One of my local venues has MagicQ and actually just replaced it with an old GrandMA 1.
Another of my local venues got refitted a few years ago and that included a switch from an old theatrical console to Avolites. Avolites is great for a lot of what they do, but once in a while they've done some theatre stuff and have at times REALLY regretted not having something like EOS, if even in their back pocket.

Really to busk on EOS the important thing doesn't really require magic sheets, I rarely if ever get around to making them myself. I build a series of submasters that are well thought out, and use a lot of direct selects. But each to their own. I kind of approach it like one does a GrandMA sort of.

Food for thought anyway. Honestly even.... Buy an Avolites or MagicQ, and have a laptop with a Nomad dongle and a Gadget II for your theatre shows. All bases covered, however, two completely discrete systems for people to learn.

I'm assuming that you are with a public high school and understand the issues with purchasing issues by government entities. In my state I know you have to request 3 quotes for anything over $10,000 and under $30,000, and go out to bid for over $30,000 (the amounts might be higher now if changes have been made since I was involved in purchasing) unless you purchased off a state, government or state approved contract. If that is the powers at be main issue, then I agree with you and really push for the Element 2 and that spending the extra money for the ION is also justifiable.

There's busking and there's music busking.

Running simple events like meetings, music department concerts and talks doesn't fall into my definition of busking. They are easily done with a few subs and a vague idea of the agenda.

I usually think of busking as creating a light show to the music being played, rock concert style. While you might find yourself doing a 'battle of the bands' or something, most HS events don't want or need that kind of flash.

Don't buy for once a year.

A couple of things to think about here. I have used ChamSys far more than ETC and I think it is better for control of moving lights. But Eos is a more mature system and it is better for cue stacking and advanced timing. Both have their quirks and honestly I am not sure which I would choose in your situation.
I would say this though - do not buy an MQ60. It is being retired - it has a small lo res screen and is old hardware. Look at the MQ70 instead, its a much nicer proposition.
Alsoin this instance I do not believe that a PC plus dongle plus wing plus Xkeys is a good idea. Thats all fine for personal use, but not in a school. You want a proper desk for sure. Far fewer potential points of failure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back