Console selection

I want to add that I also have a 2 scene Leprecon, and students are tested on both it and the ION. The GMA is just gravy and was purchased through a bit of luck and chance, not necessity..

Those of us with board experience - you might have been starting over when you left a Hog, but you still understood the basic principles of lighting and programming, and I'll be it was easier for you than someone entirely green to the field. Syntax and terminology changes, but the classes of consoles are pretty similar.

Unless it's a Smartfade. Then you're just out of luck. :mrgreen:

Here's the funny thing. Almost every single corporate gig I've been on has been either some flavor of Hog/MA, or an LP612! Just like the Altman 65Q, the Leprecon just keeps on going.

Sure, I do sometimes see a Smartfade, but no one I've met really likes to program those.

Here's the funny thing. Almost every single corporate gig I've been on has been either some flavor of Hog/MA, or an LP612! Just like the Altman 65Q, the Leprecon just keeps on going. (The best part is getting a board Op rate on that 612, almost as good as showing people that it DOES have a cue stack :dance:)

Sure, I do sometimes see a Smartfade, but no one I've met really likes to program those.

Anyway, this is a very interesting thread. I must admit I hadn't expected people to be so supportive of the more "classic" boards, but when considered in context, they make sense. For what its worth, the theatre I work at went from Express to Ion, just like my college did.

Here's the funny thing. Almost every single corporate gig I've been on has been either some flavor of Hog/MA, or an LP612! Just like the Altman 65Q, the Leprecon just keeps on going.

I usually see the NSI 70xx series instead of the Leprecon, it's been quite a while since I've seen one of those.

... I wish you the best of luck with Strand. I like the Strand consoles, and that's where I started years ago, but from an industry standpoint they've fallen behind the curve, and customer service is almost non-existant. ...
Disagree. In my long career, I've been the biggest Strand-Century supporter, the biggest Strand hater, and only recently, due to the efforts of PHenry, DPickering, BHarrell, Lekobird, KCraigle, RandySomething, and others I can never remember, I'm swinging back to at least the center.

I still don't like the current batch of consoles, however.

Last edited:
Disagree. In my long career, I've been the biggest Strand-Century supporter, the biggest Strand hater, and only recently, due to the efforts of PHenry, BHarrell, Lekobird, KCraigle, RandySomething, and others I can never remember, I'm swinging back to at least the center.

I still don't like the current batch of consoles, however.

I started on a GSX, so I'll never be able to completely hate Strand. That blue golf ball will always be in my heart, right next to the Encore GO button.

I started on a GSX, so I'll never be able to completely hate Strand. That blue golf ball will always be in my heart, right next to the Encore GO button.

We've got an encore! Chunk Chunk Chunk Chunk Chunk....
On another note, we have a strand pallete in the other little used space, I honestly don't really like it. It seems cumbersome and has some annoying quirks but for basic programming of conventionals there's nothing majorly wrong with it IMO.

I still maintain the LP90 was the last good console Strand made.

Perhaps the 520i was before the LP90 but the 520i seemed to be a really competent and rugged console with a easy to learn syntax - but early Palette was all I ever really learned and I'd come from resistance/autotransformer/two-scene preset lineage, which was the model for Palette.

I am so pleased with the posts here. A lot of it supports what I suspected and felt but the depth and breadth of the reasoning is really helpful. Trying to keep track of the perspective - whether the poster is in a high school or college, does industrials or live concerts, or some other sector of this really interestingly broad industry - makes it a challenge.

Perhaps the 520i was before the LP90 but the 520i ...
Nope. The 500/300 series came after the Light Palette 90, and even though they could run something called "lightpalette" (as opposed to Genius ? GeniusPro ?) OS, I never warmed to them. As an original V6E power user, they looked totally foreign to me (at trade shows; I never was [-]forced[/-] had the pleasure, to use one for a show). I was once (possibly) refused a job at Cirque because I said negative things about their console choice du jour at the interview.

I'd love to hear AValentino's thoughts on this thread topic. I think she might have a little pertinent experience. ;)

EDIT: See also the thread http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/...onsole-design-k-why-modern-consoles-suck.html on Rob Halliday, WestEnd and Broadway programmer.

Last edited:
There has been some discussion on this thread about the difference between a theatrical board ( useful for setting looks, and playing back the exact same look every night ) and Rock and Roll boards ( Useful for building palettes that you can busk during a show ).

I think there is another dimension that is too often overlooked. Is the board targeted toward the board operator, or the lighting designer?

I would argue that most consoles and software currently on the market is targeted toward the board operator, not the designer. They tend to think in terms of channel numbers that are quick to type in. The goal is to minimize keystrokes for the operator, not to give the abstractions of control that a lighting designer could use.

For example,
  • As a designer why do I have to look at my paper magic sheet, convert it to a channel number, and tell the board operator what to do. Why can't I call for the fixture or group by a short name?
  • Why can't I see my magic sheets on the screen, with the real time values of what is going on.
  • Why do I have to think about mark cues just to get the moving light pre positioned properly. And why are most of the attempts to do "auto dark moves" clunky and do not give me enough flexibility to easily make it do what I want.
  • Why are the consoles so difficult to understand? As a designer you have to wrap your head around how the programmer is approaching the issue.
  • Why can't I just say "take the red backlights down 5 points" and it just happens.
  • Why don't I see group levels in my cue sheets. Why don't my groups figure out their levels based on the levels of the channels in them.
  • Why can't I ( say ) take the downstage front lights for cue 10 thru 20 up five points quickly and easily.
  • Why can't I have four faders in my lap in the house that I can quickly assign to any group and play with the levels on stage instead of asking my board op to do it.
  • Why doesn't the board take voice commands.

Sure some of the consoles out there are starting to implement some of these ideas, but it is slow work. The original light palette ( as designed by Richard Pilbrow) was a GIANT leap forward in computerized control. It broke the mental paradigm of presets. Since then the progress has been slow and incremental.

Not sure where I am going with this, except to try to open up the thinking processes about what a control system should do for the designer, not the operator.

Boards like the Avo, ChamSys and GrandMA are working in this direction. Plus they have the option of approaching programming in all kinds of ways. I designed a show for Edinburgh Fringe and the festival op programmed it on an GrandMA2 and my goodness, I have never seen so much typing going on in my life. He could have stabbed at the touchscreens instead, but he chose to type. On Avo and ChamSys (the boards I am most familiar with) you can make groups, call them and number them as you choose and call them like that.
In my experience the tracking and move in dark functions of these work perfectly well within cue stacks with very little intervention.
Boards are complicated - they have to be. Years ago a moving light had maybe 7 or 8 parameters - now they have over thirty. Lots of number crunching and data handling to be done. Jands did have a stab at totally reinventing the way a lighting desk works, and the user interface, but as I said its not an approach that works for me. You have to be quite brave to try and reinvent this particular wheel. Kudos must be given to them as they, along with Avo still believe that there is a place for the LD that wants to program and operate a big show.

Spring Dance 2013 - Magic Sheet 2.JPG
  • As a designer why do I have to look at my paper magic sheet, convert it to a channel number, and tell the board operator what to do. Why can't I call for the fixture or group by a short name?

You don't and you can.

• Why can't I see my magic sheets on the screen, with the real time values of what is going on.
  • Why can't I just say "take the red backlights down 5 points" and it just happens.

You can. With YOUR Magic Sheet on both your screen at the tech table, as well as on a touch screen at the console, you don't have to ask for a channel number. You can ask for "Stage Left Pinks at 40, Bax Ambers at 35, Front Blue Full, give me a bit more green in the cyc" etc.... The boxes on the MS are channels, have the purpose (From Lightwight), the color (from Lightwright) a gradient of the intensity as well as a real intensity value. The operator on an Eos, Gio or Ion with touch screens can see the purpose and simply touch the buttons and then either key in a value, or wheel it.

And it's YOUR layout, so configure the magic sheet to whatever works best. Color or not. The Eos family MS is similar to what Richard Pilbrow has been so hot-to-trot about with Eric Cornwells Virtual Magic Sheet.

• Why do I have to think about mark cues just to get the moving light pre positioned properly. And why are most of the attempts to do "auto dark moves" clunky and do not give me enough flexibility to easily make it do what I want.

Pretty much all the modern desks will auto-mark for you, or allow you to choose where you want moves to happen. Eos does Reference Marks for better control. It's really the operator that needs to know how to do what you want. That's why you pay good money for programmers.

• Why are the consoles so difficult to understand? As a designer you have to wrap your head around how the programmer is approaching the issue.

As a designer you have always had to know what the consoles can do. Tharon Musser was quoted way back when on ACL (1975) to the effect that an LD has no choice sometimes but to design according to what the console can do.

• Why don't I see group levels in my cue sheets. Why don't my groups figure out their levels based on the levels of the channels in them.

Groups have changed somewhat to not have values assigned. They are now (In Eos) just a collection of channels. The Magic Sheet pretty much shows you what's on/off or at a value so is this still useful ?.

• Why can't I ( say ) take the downstage front lights for cue 10 thru 20 up five points quickly and easily.

You can

• Why can't I have four faders in my lap in the house that I can quickly assign to any group and play with the levels on stage instead of asking my board op to do it.

Beceause the unions don't like that !. And in reality, if you want a touch screen at the tech. table, OK. You program.

Coming ?.

Attached: Magic Sheet for our dance series.

• So would it be nice to have a Live view that displays groups numbers, preferable with a short name and the level that the group is at? Would it be two different Live views, one for channels if I just need to bring up some of the area lights and not all while having another one for areas. Now that I'm thinking about it, a combo view could be good where there is a Group button you could select to change the level of everything or expand to control everything that's part of that group if necessary.
  • It would be nice just as a designer to have a small set of faders available while a board op takes care of most of the operation. This would eliminate trying to find the right cyc color of the designer saying what color they want up or down and waiting for the programmer to do it.
  • Should be possible already if most boards are already running Windows Embedded to handle capturing the voice and just needing software to direct the board to do what it needs. Clearcom connection from the tech table right into the board? Wouldn't want the board talking back to me when there are command line errors, so it would be nice to have a display so I could see what's actually happening.

• So would it be nice to have a Live view that displays groups numbers, preferable with a short name and the level that the group is at? Would it be two different Live views, one for channels if I just need to bring up some of the area lights and not all while having another one for areas. Now that I'm thinking about it, a combo view could be good where there is a Group button you could select to change the level of everything or expand to control everything that's part of that group if necessary.
  • It would be nice just as a designer to have a small set of faders available while a board op takes care of most of the operation. This would eliminate trying to find the right cyc color of the designer saying what color they want up or down and waiting for the programmer to do it.
  • Should be possible already if most boards are already running Windows Embedded to handle capturing the voice and just needing software to direct the board to do what it needs. Clearcom connection from the tech table right into the board? Wouldn't want the board talking back to me when there are command line errors, so it would be nice to have a display so I could see what's actually happening.

The Magic Sheet I displayed has Group "Ovals" (to differentiate from channel boxes). It's pretty easy to press a Group and you will then see all the associate channels highlighted with their levels. You can also create whatever you choose as a separate magic sheet, either in a different snapshot or on a 2nd monitor. If needed, you could add text to the channel boxes that indicate the Group they are in. So a "G1" in the upper left corner is pretty easy to do.

It's also currently possible to add a fader wing at the design table. ETC makes 2x10 and 2x20 wings that can run off the RVI if needed.

You can currently see the command line at a remote monitor. As a programmer I HATE having that at the LD's monitor as they typically micro-manage and call back the errors I'm typing. How about taking a chill pill and letting me fix what I type in error ?, is something I've wanted to say, or "Here, you come push the frigging buttons !".

... You can currently see the command line at a remote monitor. As a programmer I HATE having that at the LD's monitor as they typically micro-manage and call back the errors I'm typing. How about taking a chill pill and letting me fix what I type in error ?, is something I've wanted to say, or "Here, you come push the frigging buttons !".
And a non-theatre designer rarely if ever looks at a monitor, unless he/she is a designer/programmer. Sometimes for corporate shows, designer may have a screen showing the cuelist, just to avoid asking the board op, "What cue is onstage?"

(ALL) Lighting designers should be watching the, I don't know the, stage, where the lighting is happening, not have their face buried in a screen full of numbers and other gibberish.

We have just updated the lighting console in our large TV studio and switched to grandMA2 onPC with a command wing and fader wing. The price was ridiculously cheap for such a full featured system. Sure the idea of running the lighting console off a computer might seem foreign but if you build it on a computer with redundant power supplies and the like it can be a very stable system.

Steve. Thanks for the detailed reply and your thoughts. Let me walk through them.

In these kinds of discussions it is sometimes difficult to separate the implementation from the problem trying to be solved. I may give some examples of an interface that I believe could address some of my bullet points, but I am not saying that that is the only or best way. I may refer to our attempts at solving these problems, but this is only for example, not to say that it is the 'One true way'

It also sounds to me as if you are using ETC as an example. I am assuming that in my remarks.

You don't and you can.
Humm - are you saying that with the newest ETC release you can give some fixtures a short name ( say A1, A2, A3 etc) and simply type 'A1 @ 50' or 'A1 thru A4 + 5 points'. I am not aware that it could do that. What I want to be able to do is to assign short names to my fixtures and groups, and be able to communicate to my board op (or enter at a keyboard) intensity commands using those short names, without having to use any numbers anywhere. The demo I saw of the new EOS software did not mention this ability.

This is important to me as a designer because I don't ever want to have to move my eyes from the stage to the paperwork or screen to see what is going on. ( and this is the real problem I am trying to address here). If I have the ability to give short, unique names to my fixtures, I can more easily remember them and do not have to refer to my paperwork.

You can. With YOUR Magic Sheet on both your screen at the tech table, as well as on a touch screen at the console, you don't have to ask for a channel number. You can ask for "Stage Left Pinks at 40, Bax Ambers at 35, Front Blue Full, give me a bit more green in the cyc" etc.... The boxes on the MS are channels, have the purpose (From Lightwight), the color (from Lightwright) a gradient of the intensity as well as a real intensity value. The operator on an Eos, Gio or Ion with touch screens can see the purpose and simply touch the buttons and then either key in a value, or wheel it.

And it's YOUR layout, so configure the magic sheet to whatever works best. Color or not. The Eos family MS is similar to what Richard Pilbrow has been so hot-to-trot about with Eric Cornwells Virtual Magic Sheet.

ETC has done an excellent job on their magic sheet. No question about it. IMHO and based on what I saw at LDI, they are doing that display the best of anyone in the market today. See the comment above re modification. Even with the ETC implementation however, I believe that when you say 'Stage left pinks at 40' Some person has to look at some reference and find the box labeled 'Stage left pinks'. They then either have to type in the channel/fixture/group number -OR- they have to select it with a mouse or touch screen ( which automates the selection).

Pretty much all the modern desks will auto-mark for you, or allow you to choose where you want moves to happen. Eos does Reference Marks for better control. It's really the operator that needs to know how to do what you want. That's why you pay good money for programmers.

Yes they do it, but my understanding is that they are fairly limited with the capability. ( speaking from rumor here, not first had experience) I want to easily be able to set the delay time, move time, and what cue the dark moves occurs in. I don't believe the current implementation allows this. ( the manufacturers are working on this issue).

Actually in thinking about my earlier point ( designers vs programmers) this feature falls more in the programmer camp.

As a designer you have always had to know what the consoles can do. Tharon Musser was quoted way back when on ACL (1975) to the effect that an LD has no choice sometimes but to design according to what the console can do.

Any early technology is usually much more complex in it's interface than it needs to be. As the technology evolves, the end user has to be less and less involved with what is going on under the covers. Look at early automobiles. You had to understand how to advance the spark as you were driving to keep the engine running smoothly. You had to open the hood and check the oil. You had to lubricate the car. Today the automobile manufactures have automated much of that for you.

In the 60's and 70's text editing on computers was very difficult. You had special keys that moved you from insert mode to modify mode to reposition the cursor mode. They were powerful once you learned the tricks, but they were hard to learn. Xerox Parc, and the Apple Macintosh changed that with the concept of a Mouse and WYSIWYG text editors.

Sure you have to understand some of the concepts of what is going on, but you don't have to deeply understand the details of how it is doing it's job, because the user interface is as simple as possible. I don't believe that is what is happening with control consoles at this time.

I don't have an answer as to what the right approach is, but I suspect it has to do with finding more of a GUI approach to the application, instead of a command line approach.

Groups have changed somewhat to not have values assigned. They are now (In Eos) just a collection of channels. The Magic Sheet pretty much shows you what's on/off or at a value so is this still useful ?.

This is what ETC has done, but I don't think it is the best approach. As LD I want to think of my design in terms of functions. ( Area 1, Blue back, DS Blue Back, etc) When I do look at an active magic sheet, I want to see the level of my functions ( groups). Frequently this may be a range of values ( IE Area 1 = 20-50).

I want to be able to select a group ( as ETC does) and set the fixtures in that group to a level, or move them up / down by some amount. But I also want to see that level reflected in the magic sheet. More importantly, I want the values in that group display to reflect the real time values of the fixtures in that group.

I also want to be able to give proportional values to the group. For example, if I have a group "Area1' which consists of a warm and cool from the front, I may want to put the warm at 80% and the cool at 100% to give me the desired balance when I just bring up the group.

I want to see my groups in my cues with the intensity levels. I want to be able to do blind editing of my cues by using the group.

As far as I know there is no one who does all this yet. Our product does the first part, but does not show the groups in the cue sheet.

You can

So let me be clear with what I am trying to do as a designer. I want to be able to do blind modifications in multiple cues quickly and easily instead of having to think of things a cue at a time.
For example, I have cues 10 thru 20. I have 10 front area lights in 5 areas. In cue 10 the lights are at a low level, with the center being slightly hot. In cue 11 they brighten a bit. In cue 12 they brighten a bit more, in cue 13 they even out so the center is no longer hotter, in cue 14 we focus Stage left by making that hot, and in cue 15 we take them back to the initial low level.

I decide that the look of all of those cues is a bit dim, so I want to boost everything by 5 points.

What I would like to do might be to :
Click on the fixtures or groups I want to change.
Go the the cue sheet and highlight with the mouse the cues that I want to modify.
Right click with the mouse to get a dialog box which gives me an intensity wheel.
Move the wheel up 5 points.
Record.

I want to be able to the same kind of thing with time.

I have trouble thinking of how to easily do this with a command line interface. If you can give me an easy way I would be interested.
( by the way - I don't think anyone does this well yet. It is something we have been talking about on our product, but not there yet)

Because the unions don't like that !. And in reality, if you want a touch screen at the tech. table, OK. You program.
Actually , according to Rob Hallidays LDI talks, some early strand consoles did have this functionality. Just because the union does not like it does not mean that it would not be a useful feature.

Coming ?.
I hope so - as long as I can refer to my fixtures by short alpha numeric names instead of numbers. Of course the unions will probably hate that as well.

<Snip> ....

What we do is let you lay out a magic sheet with what you want. When I am doing a show I typically lay out a page with my fixtures, and put the groups that are associated with those fixtures nearby. Then I build a page which is just groups for the entire show.

One issue with voice recognition is the grammar. In order to make the recognition fast enough to be useful you have to build a clear grammar which is not easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back