Console selection

And a non-theatre designer rarely if ever looks at a monitor, unless he/she is a designer/programmer. Sometimes for corporate shows, designer may have a screen showing the cuelist, just to avoid asking the board op, "What cue is onstage?"

(ALL) Lighting designers should be watching the, I don't know the, stage, where the lighting is happening, not have their face buried in a screen full of numbers and other gibberish.

Tiny quibble with this comment.

He also needs to look at the monitor if he is trying to figure out what lights are currently on doing what, ( IE a virtual magic sheet can be useful) But looking at the stage and making it look good is what he is being paid to do.

I thought Avab had a console - in 80s - that had speech. Maybe it only synthesized speech and didn't recognize it. Too long ago.

John,

Good points and before I answer I can state that the ETC implantation with the v2.0 Magic Sheet is far from perfect. It does however and seemingly change the interface (at times) from a command line, button pushing method, to a "push the associated button on the screen" method. The magic sheet I posted has purposes from Lightwright inside each box. If I push that "Box", that is labeled Channel 4 - "Fnt Stg Pink", then I can now manipulate the intensity of that channel. That's the LD's choice of terminology (and can be anything you can make fit on the screen). I added the color info to been seen as well from LW. If that is in the same syntax as what the LD is "thinking" about that light, special, group whatever, then the touch screen label represents that. If the LD asks for the Box Amber to be at 50%, then the Magic Sheet touch screen button allows ANYBODY with that interface to just simply push the button on the screen labeled "Box Amber" and either wheel it, or command line enter, or if you choose, you can place on the magic sheet screen, a set of buttons "10, 20, 30" etc.... for intensities and push those, and if you want a "+/-" set of buttons (that are inherent on the Eos series desks), to raise/lower by 5 %, 10% whatever you set it to, then put that on there too.

The Magic Sheet display is, for the first time, making me wish I had an Eos Ti or Gio, instead of my Ion. As a programmer, having dual Magic Sheets right in front of me, rather then the Ion setup I have, would make me forget where the buttons are on the desk. As a programmer, in 5 minutes time, I KNOW where everything in the plot is located on those screens. I can call up stuff about as fast as you can ask for it and you do NOT need to call up channel numbers. That, to me, is really important as I get a lot of European (and other) events that may send me a plot, that I adapt to our house, but that have no channel numbers that are useful to the company LD. They only know "Blue Bax Upstage" and this all makes my job a lot easier.

As comment that our magic sheets for the ML control - what I jokingly call a "Direct Select Replacement Page", already has the fixtures labels as "Fix 1, Fix 2" etc... laid out in the order I see them from the desk. I no longer think of "Channel 301 thru 306". I stopped doing that when I used the Group Direct Select pages, assigning fixtures to groups according to how they appeared on the DS page. I don't do that anymore as a Magic Sheet lets me place the actual fixture symbol, plus whatever text I desire in and around the fixture for whatever add'l info. I need to be seen in a graphical layout of the stage. Hell, I can import a drawing of the stage layout and overlay my focus palettes right on top, if I want.

As to Marking. The desks can be set to Auto-Mark to preset the attributes of a fixture, in the cue PRIOR TO the next cue you need them. You can change that to what is known as Reference Marks. You choose the cue that the fixtures will be needed in (the Reference Cue), then manually Mark them to the point you want the moves to happen. Time, delays, which attributes move when (Pan/Tilt slowly, whatever), can all be manipulated.

Will not comment on the manipulation of intensities of channels across a range of cues, 'cause I'm really weak on that subject !, but I think it does it with Track (and backwards with Trace).

As to Groups. ETC changed groups with Eos. A group no longer has intensity (or values). It's only a collection of channels (which is a logical idea when you start to use it). To do a group of channels that have proportional (or any)intensities, you now use an Intensity Palette. Which I never use. Judy D., LD for the the Martha Graham dance company used to use groups in a really clever way on the Express/ion. She would ask me "Group 21". No value. It just highlighted a bunch of channels - say the upper shins, and told her what the level was. She stopped doing that with the Eos software. Yes, I use and configure groups to manipulate a range of "purposes", to save time. But I can readily see what all the side blues are doing. The intensity is read back to me.

Now could you configure a screen that has Intensity Palettes ?. Don't know and I can see your need. I can see the need to highlight all the stuff pointing toward the upper platform SR. Not sure how to do that.

Does it do all YOU want ?. Probably not. Is it changing the way I work ?. Yup and I'm really excited about what I see.

Speaking towards the manipulation of channels across a range of cues, the EOS family actually has what a very powerful and very easy to utilize interface, when learned and used properly. Update can be performed across a range of cues, or specific cues entered by the programmer. It can move only forward, only backward, or forward and backward in the cue list. Each of the three ways can be done to all or specific cues within a range or within the tracking of the levels of channels.

Also, once channels have intensity information, the EOS family offers the standard level wheel and +/- commands to edit the information. While there isn't a way to proportionally change the levels via level wheel (that I know of), levels can be edited proportionally via the use of the @/ command, which sets the level to a percentage of the current. [Group] [1] [@] [/] [100] [Enter] leaves the channel levels the same as you are asking for them to be at 100% of what they currently are. [@] [/] [50] sets them to 50% of what they currently are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back