Constructing A Touring Stage Deck

Nothing really simple about that...

Most are custom jobs that are show dependant. Most start on a standard 4x8 deck with coffin locks and go from there. Depending on how much it will be toured changes how you go about installing the automation. I have a few drawings but nothing that I would actually want to pass around as they are all for very specific moves for a very weird space. Care to elaborate more on what you are looking to do? The words touring/simple/automation don't ever go together well.

Thanks for the reply!
I guess I could have been more specific.

Basically, we're using 5 hand winches to move set items across our stage. So I guess it's not really automation.
Ideally we'd like to be able to assemble and dismantle the show deck quickly for when we move to our sister theatre.
We'd also rather have our turn-around sheaves connected to the deck, as opposed to having to drill it into the floor.

Unless the pieces you're using are really light I would think you'd want to anchor it to the floor. No portable deck lays completely flat so it would be hard to predict and prepare for potential issues. Also if you've got a track underneath the deck why not attach the sheave to it and have the whole assembly lay on the ground (with additional dead weight if necessary).
Lastly who's going to make the deck and what kind of weight rating are you looking for? It might be worth calling a staging company to get a quote. I don't know of any in London off the top of my head but I'm sure there's one or two in the area.

Call Tait. There is alot more involved when building something like that. There should be emergency stops and other proximity sensors to prohibit anyone getting hurt by moving pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back