Consulting

I’ll one up you, how about the bid which called for brand new Colortran 30 and 40 degree ellipsoidals, approved because it was the low bid (among other reasons) even though Colortran went bankrupt what 20 years ago and there’s no way these weren’t in someone’s basement or warehouse. The vendor said he’d personally recommend them. Alas, the school has those fixtures now.
@ACTSTech Let's hope the vendor has lamps for them as well.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Worked with a church that had a designer and an architect but was just paying someone to move the old sound and lighting equipment into the new building.
The designer spec'd 16 $1000 light fixtures as houselights but no one realized the 40+ source fours needed any power to operate. The electrician assumed something about stage lighting and installed 4 20A circuits where they assumed the lights would hang and showed me a box of D20 dimmers saying they came out of the old space.
I recommended Source 4WRDs and they were appalled at the $600 per so they bought 4.

No idea. I've learned to sense when design communication is lacking and get proactive. I don't understand why you couldn't see what was planned before it was installed. Just wrong.

Our entire team shot down a literal leather wall the architect wanted as his signature. . Architect spec'ed it anyway and it was installed. One year later, it was removed due to excessive maintenance requirements (a nonprofit community theater is not going to run HVAC 24/7, sorry) and it was falling off the subwall. We have a nice textured vinyl number now, it requires no maintenance and looks good.

Or, for sheer nuttiness, the $250k fiber-optic based system that was installed but not used because commissioning it was more expensive that installing and commissioning a second, copper-based, system. (Different building from first).

Our entire team shot down a literal leather wall the architect wanted as his signature

So your management did not support you. If the owner - whomever is hiring and paying the architect - doesn't act and direct the architect - it's that person that allowed the leather wall or whatever. Now if the leather wall resulted in a donor giving more than the cost of the wall, sorry, that's how these buildings get funded.

Last edited:
Only current case, one thing was specified, submitted and approved, and something else delivered. And it's causing problems, especially that it's 1200 w vs 600 w planned and breaker pops. And the dealer is telling the owner it's my fault.

Everyone makes mistakes. I admit mine and fix them.

Just heard about the new library at Cornell.
They focus on looking up girls skirts - valid. But also super dangerous to walk on in any shoe with heels, falling dirt, pens, binder clips, phones, anything! Huge design flaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back