1. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    I just noticed your location. Dillon MT is almost my neighborhood. I've been through Missoula several times this year alone, that's right next door by Montana standards isn't it? ;)

You're quite right, but perhaps a bit better off. Rotating faculty brings in people with wider knowledge, but it still requires that they listen. I've heard the 'fancy, big city ideas' comments. :wall:

One of my key arguments for hiring me (or any consultant) is that we usually save the price of our fees by avoiding problems. There's a point where the job is so small that 10% won't pay for much, and those mistakes don't cost much. Otherwise, smarter is cheaper!

mtodd2qq and RonHebbard like this.
  2. DavidJones

DavidJones Well-Known Member

Then again, and no offense to anyone here, I have been a vendor on projects where a consultant has spec'd discontinued audio processors, and dimmer racks for ALL led fixtures. A lot of consultants don't stay up to date with technology and don't have any real, or recent enough experience to actually provide appropriate specs.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. RonHebbard

RonHebbard Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. mtodd2qq

mtodd2qq Member

Professor/Technical Director/Production Manager
    How do you work for out of Spokane? I did my undergrad out at EWU and covered Sabbatical for John Hoflond for a Year at GU. Its a nice town. And you hit he nail on the head. Unless its a major renovation, convincing anyone you need outside help is tough. And rotating faculty does have its up points

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    Did you ever meet George Lathrop while in town? He and I formed a consulting firm after he sold Silhouette. It's small projects that keep us busy.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. Catherder

Catherder Member

I'd hire you for that - if you didn't live about as far away from me as is possible within the lower 48. I'd love to find someone to bring into our space, assess what we have on hand, what our primary uses are, what we can use differently and better, and what gaps we should fill. We try to spend money on one small "capital improvement" per show (2 per year). A couple new lights, spending a bit more on lumber to make sturdy platforms that will last instead of using scrap wood, stuff like that. Whatever we have in the budget. What we don't have is a roadmap. Yeah, I can volunteer to do tech on community theater shows and up my game, see what they use (and I am planning to do that because hey, I need more volunteer grunt work in my day), but again - it's not specific to OUR space and use. I definitely see a niche for that sort of thing.

StradivariusBone and RonHebbard like this.
  7. Calc

Calc Active Member

One of the middle school theatres across town had one of these installed 20 years ago as their PA. Tragedy.

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member

Theatre Consultant
  9. StradivariusBone

StradivariusBone Custom Title Fight Leukemia

Facility Manager/TD
    My goal is to retire as the wise and ubiquitous "old guy" you find in the corner of Lowes, but instead of telling you how to rewire your sprinkler pump, I'll tell you where to put your subs and how tie a bowline. But yeah I can help with that pump too. My cousin actually lives up in Oregon though and loves it a whole lot more than Florida.

10. microstar

microstar Well-Known Member

Lighting/Sound/Video installation/repair
    A case of wrong product for the application. I installed several of these in a large fairgrounds show barn in about 1999 and they've survived all kinds of dust and dirt, square dances, paging, bad singing of the national anthem, you name it and they are still sounding great today.

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. RonHebbard

12. StradivariusBone

StradivariusBone Custom Title Fight Leukemia

Facility Manager/TD
    I had a gig in high school that sometimes involved installing paging horns on PBX systems. Learned a lot about 70v systems and the important difference between series and parallel in electrical wiring. There are quite a few warehouses in the central Florida area that also still have these systems and they work fine. Our lobby and backstage feeds are 70v ceiling speakers and they do great too, circa 1995.

RonHebbard likes this.
  13. mtodd2qq

mtodd2qq Member

Professor/Technical Director/Production Manager
    I think I ran into him once or twice while he still had Silhouette.

RickR and RonHebbard like this.
  14. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  15. RonHebbard

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice