Control/Dimming Control 8 DMX channels with 1 slider??

klaasvt

I'm working on a venue which has an Anytronics CB dimmer conrolling a bunch of LED fixtures (house lights). They are wired to the 8 output circuits. I'm upgrading to DMX on the lighting controls in the venu (they were analogue).

I'm wondering if there's a way or a devide to put in front of the dimmer on my DMX chain that woudl allow me to control all the house lights on one channel, rather than using 8 dmx channels?

Of course on our big console I could program a sub-master for the house lights, but we also have a simple 6 channel console we leave in place for the every day lights up and down... so of course I can't control the 8 output channels with that!

Any advice or gear reccomendations would be appreciated!

Klaas

It would not be too tricky to hack something together to perform this task with a microcontroller (and an RS485 receiver/driver) if you're inclined towards that sort of thing. Making sure it's consistently reliable could be a little more work.

Maybe a slightly more capable little lighting console would be a good solution? The Leviton N1000-6 might fit the bill nicely and is pretty affordable. Doug Fleenor's preset 8 could also work very nicely (albeit for considerably more coin). For that matter, what six channel DMX console are you using, and are you sure it can't control more DMX channels?

I'm looking into the Arduino option, as it seems that I might get away with an uno and DMX sheild, I've done some programming before so that might work.

We have an old Zero88 Level 6 on the shelf which I was going to use.... but that's really as basic as it gets.

The Leviton looks good, if I can get it in the UK, DFD looks very American to me! Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm working on a venue which has an Anytronics CB dimmer controlling a bunch of LED fixtures (house lights). They are wired to the 8 output circuits. I'm upgrading to DMX on the lighting controls in the venu (they were analogue).

I'm wondering if there's a way or a device to put in front of the dimmer on my DMX chain that would allow me to control all the house lights on one channel, rather than using 8 dmx channels?

Of course on our big console I could program a sub-master for the house lights, but we also have a simple 6 channel console we leave in place for the every day lights up and down... so of course I can't control the 8 output channels with that!

Any advice or gear recommendations would be appreciated!

Klaas
@klaasvt You mentioned your house light dimmers WERE analogue: Analogue like zero to ten VDC?
If so, why not diode couple them and drive them all with one channel of DMX to 0 to 10 Analogue?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@BillConnerFASTC the Anytronics CB series dimmer (http://www.anytronics.com/wall-mounted-dimmers.html) which only has the option to set the first address, and it used 7 more after that (as far as I can tell. Does anyone have experience with those?) I might be wrong on that, of course that woudl be the simplest.

If so, why not diode couple them and drive them all with one channel of DMX to 0 to 10 Analogue?
@RonHebbard Hey that sounds interesting... how would you do that? Does that take a DMX to analogue converter box or something? Sorry, lighting is only a side gig so I'm not 100% up on things. A bit more detail would be fantastic on that idea...

Thanks all,
Klaas

@BillConnerFASTC the Anytronics CB series dimmer (http://www.anytronics.com/wall-mounted-dimmers.html) which only has the option to set the first address, and it used 7 more after that (as far as I can tell. Does anyone have experience with those?) I might be wrong on that, of course that woudl be the simplest.

@RonHebbard Hey that sounds interesting... how would you do that? Does that take a DMX to analogue converter box or something? Sorry, lighting is only a side gig so I'm not 100% up on things. A bit more detail would be fantastic on that idea...

Thanks all,
Klaas
@klaasvt Depending upon your exact model, I've cut 'n pasted this from your installation manual:

"Step 4 Connect control inputs It is good installation practice always to route the control wires separately from all other electrical cables. Analogue and DMX control inputs are both provided, and the control information is combined inside the pack so that either one of these inputs can be used, or so that they can both be used together, the highest input level on each channel taking control. Connect 0-10V analogue inputs to the internal screw terminals or via the DIN sockets provided (the connections are shown on the dimming pack lid). A 0V and +10V reference supply connection is available internally on screw terminals for connection to control switches or potentiometers, Anytronics AMD panels or similar external controls."

IF your model has the 0 to 10 volt analogue control inputs referred to above, a 1N4002 diode per dimmer input could be added, the remaining leads from all 8 of the diodes could be connected together and 10 volts DC applied, either via a simple ON / OFF switch or potentiometer to simultaneously dim all 8 channels. The thoughts of an old analogue geezer posting on the internet.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@klaasvt Depending upon your exact model, I've cut 'n pasted this from your installation manual:

"Step 4 Connect control inputs It is good installation practice always to route the control wires separately from all other electrical cables. Analogue and DMX control inputs are both provided, and the control information is combined inside the pack so that either one of these inputs can be used, or so that they can both be used together, the highest input level on each channel taking control. Connect 0-10V analogue inputs to the internal screw terminals or via the DIN sockets provided (the connections are shown on the dimming pack lid). A 0V and +10V reference supply connection is available internally on screw terminals for connection to control switches or potentiometers, Anytronics AMD panels or similar external controls."

IF your model has the 0 to 10 volt analogue control inputs referred to above, a 1N4002 diode per dimmer input could be added, the remaining leads from all 8 of the diodes could be connected together and 10 volts DC applied, either via a simple ON / OFF switch or potentiometer to simultaneously dim all 8 channels. The thoughts of an old analogue geezer posting on the internet.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Ah, makes sense.... and I guess the 0-10 volt could come from a DMX to analogue converter if I want to make sure the system only reacts to one DMX channel? Anyone have a recommendation for a converter taht works well?

The Northlight DEC08M 8-channel DMX to 1-10 converter is only $95 USD and will operate on 15-24vdc or 12-18vac so should be easy to power by adding a small transformer. Not sure if your 50Hz current will have an impact... contact Northlight to be sure.

The line frequency generally would not matter one bit. If there's any concern, stay closer to the 18VAC side than the 12VAC side; but realistically it's just going to get rectified and go to a filter capacitor, and thence to whatever regulators etc. are used in the design. Powering from a DC power supply of course obviates any possible concern about the line frequency.

Since there would not be multiple sources driving the control inputs on the dimmer, the blocking diodes are superfluous as well in this setup. They're required when multiple sources feed a single dimmer, so that the control voltage sources don't fight with driving each other, but not when one source feeds multiple dimmers.

The line frequency generally would not matter one bit. If there's any concern, stay closer to the 18VAC side than the 12VAC side; but realistically it's just going to get rectified and go to a filter capacitor, and thence to whatever regulators etc. are used in the design. Powering from a DC power supply of course obviates any possible concern about the line frequency.

Since there would not be multiple sources driving the control inputs on the dimmer, the blocking diodes are superfluous as well in this setup. They're required when multiple sources feed a single dimmer, so that the control voltage sources don't fight with driving each other, but not when one source feeds multiple dimmers.
Since the the Northlight converter uses consecutive channels after the DMX starting address to drive each 0-10 output, if @klaasvt wants to drive the 8 analog dimmer inputs with only one DMX control channel, he would need to use the blocking diodes to let the first 0-10 output of the converter drive all 8 dimmer inputs.
Sorry I did not recognize this initially. It might be worth contacting James Cart at Northlight to see if there is a modification he could do to make the starting DMX address drive all the 0-10 outputs of the converter.

Since the the Northlight converter uses consecutive channels after the DMX starting address to drive each 0-10 output, if @klaasvt wants to drive the 8 analog dimmer inputs with only one DMX control channel, he would need to use the blocking diodes to let the first 0-10 output of the converter drive all 8 dimmer inputs.
Sorry I did not recognize this initially. It might be worth contacting James Cart at Northlight to see if there is a modification he could do to make the starting DMX address drive all the 0-10 outputs of the converter.

I don't see why they'd be necessary. One output to n inputs does not require a blocking diode; there's no voltage there to block. It's no different in concept than connecting two voltmeters simultaneously to the same signal. n outputs to one input (i.e. more than one output controlling the same dimmer), on the other hand, requires the blocking diodes.

It's worth remembering that diodes add a fraction of a volt drop, about 0.7V for ordinary silicon diodes (less for Schottky diodes or germanium diodes). That may mean having to readjust the max level trim for the dimmer.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
wait - I'm confused. If analog AND DMX inputs are both provided (per the manual), why mess with the analog? Just the the DMX Input provided?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back