Control Booth monitors?

i do enjoy eating in the booth... One time i had to sneak in our dinner (cheeseburgers an fries) while the director was giving a speech to the cast members in the house seats about not eating in the auditorium. And during this the ENTIRE tech crew was eating burgers and fries. We also like to cook bacon on our George Foreman grill during boring performances...

I think this belongs in the "Corn Chips in the Booth" thread, although funny. "do you smell bacon?" "oh, the shows almost over, then we can get food" "No, I REALLY think someone has bacon somewhere!"

I also think that monitors in the booth are more in the way than anything. You should be able to hear whats going on with out them, or you need to find a different spot for the sound console.

I think this belongs in the "Corn Chips in the Booth" thread, although funny. "do you smell bacon?" "oh, the shows almost over, then we can get food" "No, I REALLY think someone has bacon somewhere!"

I also think that monitors in the booth are more in the way than anything. You should be able to hear whats going on with out them, or you need to find a different spot for the sound console.
Haha! Yeah we got in trouble for the bacon... We also had our playstation taken away... Apparently it was too big of a distraction! Whatever... We still have our mini-fridge (We went through a 48 pack of mt.dew in 2 days) , coffee pot, microwave, and our personal computers.

I feel lucky/unlucky in the fact that I typically mix all summer long in an amphitheater with a bangin' Meyer system that fills our house area +\- 3db fairly flat response in a 600+ seat concrete box. However, our foh is behind the seating area and out of coverage. For jukebox musicals (we do Buddy alot), I mix like I do for rock concerts and don't use monitors. But for traditional musicals, where my job is reinforcing vox and cues only...that means no orchestra through the pa, I use a Meyer upm-1p as a cue wedge, which is very flat and representative of the pa. That said, we took buddy to the Spencer in Ruidoso NM, where they have a nice rh system (I like mine more ;)) and a Pm5D, and I would have loved monitors for their booth, I kept murdering the house because I couldn't hear it myself...and I mix conservatively volume wise. The thing with monitors, you have to eq them to represent the room, delay them to the room, and be diligent about walking the room and double checking for problems. Just my 2c.
Also, if I had a booth, a mini fridge would definitely be there. :)

For the time being, I'm going to lay off purchasing monitors and use the money for other needs. We're in the midst of planning for a complete sound system replacement/upgrade package and part of that will be adding (hopefully) a patch point/mix area that's actually in FOH instead just the booth. Thanks for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back