Controlling Booth Traffic

:twisted:Incidentally, when you hang someone, do you have to use rated hardware? :twisted:

Of course you do. Saftey first, you wouldn't want anybody getting hurt. ;)

In our booth, anything goes as long as someone authorized is present and the visitors aren't distracting. Very few people have a key to the booth, but if someone is up there, others are welcome to visit. Frankly, most people are scared of the booth, realizing how complicated and expensive the equipment is.

During shows, visitors must be helping in some way (i.e. getting us snacks, running errands) or be silent and out of the way.

Since our venue is a school auditorium, I actually encourage students to visit us in the booth during prep times and rehearsal, hoping it might spark some interest in theater tech. We are always looking for new "victims" to work on our crews!

As far as food goes, we strongly encourage everyone to eat on the other side of the room away from the equipment. I conveniently place tables and chairs in those areas as well. Sometimes we have snacks during the show around the equipment, but everyone understands the value of the equipment and the severity of what may happen if something is spilled.

I think that it is OK for people who have permission to be there. I dont like people just wandering in randomly, but if they have asked (ie: "can I watch you operate?") then it is fine.

As for food, Lollies and bottled water only in the booth. No chocolate, soft drinks, pizza. That lives in the loading dock!

As for food, Lollies and bottled water only in the booth. No chocolate, soft drinks, pizza. That lives in the loading dock!

thank you! I think it was on CB that someone was talking about having pizza sauce stuck on their soundboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Responsible food consumption is the key IMO, keep it clean, avoid inherently messy foods, and make sure to maintain an adequate food/expensive equipment buffer zone. The "no food or drinks" sign on the door is just decoration after all :cool: But if food is getting to be a problem, install a roll of paper towel in the suggested eating area and make a point of using it in front of the problem techs.

As for the OP, unless there are cables stretched across the walkway and/or equipment balanced precariously (which shouldn't be happening anyways), I don't really see a need to keep people out of the booth "just because."

But then again, no one has spilled coke on any of "my" equipment yet (lately), so my opinions could change quite quickly :rolleyes:

No food or drink is allowed in any of my booths at work besides water, period. We do not even allow food or drink besides water on any of our stages. To many things can go wrong and I mean honestly once you've seen a sound board fry from a beer being hit into it during a fight at an intermission during a concert and the sound board op almost jumping over security to strangle the jerk when it happened you don't even wanna chance it. Honestly that stuff is just way to expensive to be eating around and having to deal with the aftermath if something does break, if your the one shelling out 20 thousand dollars on a mixing console your gonna think twice before allowing anyone to eat around it. No one wants to sign those checks or be the one to make the phone call of "Oh hey -boss-, we were eating in the booth and I may have gotten it on the board......no it is fried.....you want me to clean out my locker?.....ok....."

Also at my job no one is allowed in the booth besides the SM and our two board operators. The sound designer may come in to talk to the mixer but other than that the LD has a clear com at the tech table if he wants to talk to the booth.

I've more than once seen food eaten in very close proximity to 100K plus consoles...
The people doing it are well aware of the value of the equipment and tend to keep the food to the side, but when you've got to work through lunch, you still need to eat...

*warning: rant ahead*

Wow. I thought it was standard practice to not allow food or unnecessary people in the booth, but I guess I was wrong.

On the shows that I've worked, NO food or drink was allowed in the booth. NOTHING! Our crews are told to have their meal BEFORE showing up to practice. No food or drink is allowed ANYTIME in the booth or auditorium. I think most of us will not wither up and die if we don't eat for a few hours. During intermission, the crew is allowed to grab a drink and encouraged to use the bathroom.

And the booth is not a place to meet friends. It's strictly business in there. There's too much going on to be distracted by people poking their head in the booth.

Setting up the wireless mics should never be done in the booth. That's something for the dressing rooms. Ideally there should be 2 sound people fitting the mics and transmitters, one male and one female.

And just a personal gripe of mine. I don't allow ANY music to be played over the house PA while we're working on stage or while we're hanging instruments. EVER. It makes it hard to communicate with others while working and may prevent someone from hearing something important like "Heads!".

I would go nuts if I ever walked into a booth that was cranking up "work music" and had non-crew friends hanging out eating pizza and chugging down sugary drinks.

The more professional the environment is kept, the more professional the crew will be.

*end of rant zone*

As a general rule, I would agree that there shouldn't be extra people and food in the booth. However, I feel that there are times when that is acceptable. For example, there are a very few people that are friends of my td and several other people in the theatre here that are welcome to come visit. However, these are all people that know when we need to be left alone, and don't stay there for hours on end. I is worth noting that our primary booth is open-air at the back of the house, so it is easy for someone to come back and visit without being in the way. As to food; I regularly have at least a bottle of water with me. On those days when you have rehearsal from early afternoon until past midnight, we need time for dinner. Those of us who will eat in the booth know the cost of the equipment and are very careful. We do not drink over the consoles and use discretion in our food choices. I wouldn't eat a greasy chicken leg while I'm mixing, but I don't think there is anything inherently dangerous about eating a hamburger or snacking on a bag of pretzels, as long as you lean back away from the board. I also keep any drinks far enough away from anything damageable to avoid costly spills, and will often use a roll of gaff as a cupholder when the booth is crowded with people or excess equipment.

Would I allow food if I were over a high school space H--- no. In a college or professional space, though, I don't see a problem so long as everyone exercises due diligence.

I tend not to let people into a booth that I'm working in, especially if it's a shared space, as sometimes it can get crowded.

If I have a control room to myself however, I tend to be more relaxed. If it's large enough, I'll definitely condone anyone related to the show keeping me company. Of course they get the "I reserve the right to ask you to leave" speech, but I can't remember ever having to remove someone like that. There's actually a theater I work in that has let ticket holding patrons sit in a booth with me, which was kind of weird, but they got the same speech from the house manager and it turned out okay. :)

No food or liquids though. I don't care if you're the TD or the director or the Mayor. That's just asking for it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I made it very clear to my cast that NO ONE IS TO ENTER THE TECH BOOTH....EVER! Unfortunately, there is no lock on the door. -.-

Anyways, a few cast members decided to go up there and sneak around. Meanwhile, down below, I'm conducting an orchestra rehearsal and I hear and insane amount of feedback from these CMs playing with the sound board. After devouring their souls, the next day I gathered all of the cast for music rehearsal (Im also the music director) and before we did anything, I made the entire cast do jumping-jacks while singing "It's a small world" 300 time! :twisted:

No one ever went in the booth again :grin:

Anyways, a few cast members decided to go up there and sneak around. Meanwhile, down below, I'm conducting an orchestra rehearsal and I hear and insane amount of feedback from these CMs playing with the sound board. After devouring their souls, the next day I gathered all of the cast for music rehearsal (Im also the music director) and before we did anything, I made the entire cast do jumping-jacks while singing "It's a small world" 300 time! :twisted:

No one ever went in the booth again :grin:

I've found that you get more with sweetness then with anger/rage. If you explain the issue of why they shouldn't go in the booth politely and calmly, you'll get a better reaction and have a better working relationship with the cast members.

Off topic-
Anyone else have fun during shows or rehearsals soloing someones wireless mic to listen to their conversations? xD

I do that at church when the pastor is singing. He knows that he's not a very good singer. When he made a joke about it I started listening to him.

Our booth doesn't have functioning locks. People hang out up there all the time and often aren't doing anything of any use. People (mostly actors, but...) have been known to exit the cafeteria at lunch time and eat in the booth. We constantly have people playing music on the sound console, but if it isn't really quiet I yell at them.

During shows, you have the SM, lighting op, and two people to run sound. The director can enter during intermission, but anybody else gets kicked out.

When I am running a show, I like traffic kept to a mininum but I see no need to lose my mind over keeping guys out of the booth. If someone comes up to watch, is quiet and doesn't interfere then I don't care. Now IU have had directors come up and try to give notes in the middle of a show, that's not happening. Of course, I am talking manual analog board, with cue stacks and a go buttom, less important.

Fortunately, the entrance to the lighting booth at my high school is on a different floor than the auditorium entrance. It's also located inside a hallway that's considered a restricted area for students. So you either have to use the service elevator which requires a key, or you have to go through a doorway which is locked 90% of the time. All of that plus the fact that most people don't even know how to get up there greatly reduces the amount of traffic in and out of the booth. As for eating and drinking, it's never really been considered a problem, I just try to be as careful as possible with it. (But that might just be because there's never any supervision and I haven't gotten caught) The booth should really be limited to those who know how to use the equipment and have the proper permission to be there...

Fortunately, the entrance to the lighting booth at my high school is on a different floor than the auditorium entrance. It's also located inside a hallway that's considered a restricted area for students. So you either have to use the service elevator which requires a key, or you have to go through a doorway which is locked 90% of the time. All of that plus the fact that most people don't even know how to get up there greatly reduces the amount of traffic in and out of the booth...

Sounds exactly like our booth! Except that the doors leading to our booth are locked 100% of the time! And very few people have a key to the service elevator. Even I don't have the elevator key, and I'm the auditorium manager!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back