steiny

I am breaking into controlling much larger rigs. Also looking to expand into much larger venues. When you go into a large stadium and do semi-perm installs with lights rigged all around and lights on the ground, what is the preferred way to control all of the lights? I am somewhat familiar with networking and know how that works. But should I run cat5 and racks from my control to all of the lights, or should I go wireless? Any suggestions or thoughts how anyone else does it would be greatly appreciated.

Especially in an arena, never go wireless. There are solutions out there that are robust enough to do it, but they are pretty spendy. The problem you run into is that when the crowd fills up the stadium, each of them with a cell phone and multiple peripherals, all spewing out signals, it destroys any resemblance to fidelity you had.

Normal order of operations is networking out to sACN nodes (if the rig is small enough for a single console/processor to handle), or using your console's proprietary networking nodes (something like MA's NPU). Those are either distributed if there is places for them, or in a centralized rack, with separate networks for each of their nodes to distribute universes. Keep in mind Cat5e wants no more than 300 foot runs.

Our networks solutions are often installed on these types of gigs and venues (including Superbowl Half Time and Olympics etc.) PRG has large number of these Via switches to route sACN and all kinds of other data around large venues using fiber (and copper).
One thing you should seriously consider (with or without specing our gear) is a ring for protection. See this video for how EAPS works.

I'll say it because of the beginners floating around the site.

Do not tie your network into any other system unless your network security staff is up to the challenge. And kill any wi-fi remotes before the show...

I think it's fair to say that if you're designing and implementing a stadium sized network infrastructure, you need to have someone who has some knowledge of production networks involved. For the reasons already noted, this is not the time to just make a quick trip to Best Buy and use whatever you can find...

Topology, Security, Redundancy, VLANs, UPS, etc are all going to be considerations...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back