Control/Dimming Controlling lights with a wall controller and a board

I work for a church and we are working on trying to make control of our house lights easier for those not involved in the technical team. All of our house lights are currently ran to dimmer packs which are ran to an ADJ dmx board to use during our weekend gatherings. The issue is during the week if anybody else wants to go into the room they have to stumble around in the dark to make their way into the technical booth to turn the lights on via the board. I was wondering if it is possible to add a DMX wall controller similar to the one linked below to make it so the lights are controllable via the lighting board or the wall controller. The goal would be that during the week everybody can use the wall switch but during our production, we can control the lights with the light board. Is this possible? Thank you in advance for your help in this matter!

Example Wall Controller
https://www.shop.atxled.com/products/al-dmx-switch-dmx-wall-dimmer

You link to an interesting device that I've not encountered before. However, even though it liberally mentions DMX and is extremely inexpensive, it looks like it requires a proprietary interface to actually do something. I could be very wrong though, as wading thru the data sheet made my head spin.
Anyway, I second the go-to device for accomplishing what you want as the Fleenor PRE10A. http://www.dfd.com/p10a.html
Even though it's about 16X the money, it will always work. You can program 9 scenes plus Off, and when you turn your lighting console on, it locks out the PRE10A so scenes are not triggered inadvertently during the service. It is inserted in the DMX line between your console and the dimmers.
There are other people that make similar devices, like Pathway, Johnson Systems, and Lightronics, but generally more expensive.

Thank you both. I am glad to know what I want is possible, I do think I may keep looking around for a slightly cheaper model if possible. I do not think we could swing almost 700$ on just this at the current moment.

Last edited:
Triple the recommendation for Fleenor Preset 10. I've installed them on several jobs and folks love them.

you will also need a DMX combiner/merger, like this one,
http://northlightdmx.com/dmx512merge.htm
@coldnorth57 I DO NOT believe so with the Fleenor device mentioned although quite likely so with the other, less costly, devices.
Inserting directly between your normal DMX source (console) and your DMX controlled devices is EXACTLY what the suggested Fleenor product is designed to do including automatically LOCKING OUT its front panel controls from inadvertent operation while you and your console are operational and in control. Basically a perfect application for a PERFECT product. Thank you @Janelle !
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

I just talked to the manufacture of the other one I suggested and they based their design on the Fleenor one. So it does not need a DMX merger either and works the exact same as fleenor. Just has two less scenes and a slave master setup.

...they based their design on the Fleenor one. So it does not need a DMX merger either and works the exact same as fleenor. Just has two less scenes and a slave master setup.

I guess having a product on the market for 14+ years gives others lots of time to duplicate it. ;)

Just to clarify, our PRE10 line also has main/remote selections... as well as a few other options via jumpers. They're on page three of our manual: http://www.dfd.com/pdf/p10a-manu.pdf

Last edited:
I just talked to the manufacture of the other one I suggested and they based their design on the Fleenor one. So it does not need a DMX merger either and works the exact same as fleenor. Just has two less scenes and a slave master setup.
@Travis Cohen Is it safe to assume when you typed "they based their design on the Fleenor one" I can interpret this as "reverse engineered" / literally copied @Janelle's company's product? I ALWAYS loved when the infamous 'B' company copied one of engineer Bob Lee's QSC designs right down to Mr. Lee's initials etched in the foil of a PC board and then had the chutzpah to claim the power amp was totally their own new design. [Yeah. Right. SURE it was Uli.] How does that quote go about the sincerest form of flattery?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

What are the dimners panels? They may have a simpler interface built in. Otherwise the advice above is good and should work fine.

It is really hard to be sure without specifics for any approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back