Convert Act Curtain to Tableau

Discussion in 'Scenery, Props, and Rigging' started by Silent Gordon, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Silent Gordon

Silent Gordon Member

Facility Manager
    Hi guys, I'm designing for an upcoming farce at my local theatre and I had the idea that a tableau curtain would really fit the feeling of the show. Our space has a common traveller type main drape that's a rich red, proscenium opening of 16'x32'.
    Does anyone have an experience with rigging an act curtain to act as if it's a tableau? It's ok to let me know that I'm just dreaming haha. I'm pretty certain we have enough wing and fly space, but I don't want to cause irreparable damage to the curtain itself.

2. Van

Van CBMod CB Mods Premium Member

Project Manager, Stagecraft Industries, Inc.
    RickR and RonHebbard like this.
  3. microstar

microstar Well-Known Member

Lighting/Sound/Video installation/repair
    I think it will depend on the weight of your curtain fabric. A lot of main curtains are 22-25 oz. cotton velour and so will be quite heavy.
    If your curtain has been around for quite a few years, you will probably rip it without much difficulty. It will also take a fair amount of force to pull the trip lines to get the curtain to swag high enough to be useful.

RonHebbard likes this.
  4. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    I suggest you look into @Van 's job and company, then reread his comments.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. bobgaggle

bobgaggle Well-Known Member

Shop Foreman
    Agree with the above comments. The idea of sewing the ring to the seam is a good one, not only to hide the stitch but because you've got at least two layers of fabric to work with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice