Convert Dimmer Module to Non-Dim

jagwirez

I've seen conversations about taking a dimmer module and bypassing the choke and SSR to turn a dimmer into a non-dim module. So that brings me to two questions.

- How does the DMX signal turn the channel on. I know that I can use MagicQ, for example, and set it to hop on/off at 50% or whatever. But if I run the DMX to 1 or 2, etc, what happens at the rack?

- What is the different between this custom non-dim module and a relay module?

Thanks guys

btw - I was once licensed for electrical and we have master electricians onsite, so you may safely suppress any liability and disclaimer messages. Saving you some typing time.

This modification turns the dimmer module into a breaker, there is no electronic control at all just on and off manually controlled by the breaker switch on the dimmer module. Relay modules will turn on and off from the console typically based off of anything after 50% is on, though some racks you can make the on and off any variable you would like. Relay modules typically are not home made commonly due to the proprietary control methods but anything can be reverse engineered.

Relay modules typically are not home made commonly due to the proprietary control methods but anything can be reverse engineered.

I would argue that any modules are not typically homemade because of the liability one assumes in the event someone gets hurt or killed, or if a fire starts as a result of the homemade device.

You'll also never see a UL listing on anything built or modified in someone's garage. Even if the device is UL listed before you modify it, your modification voids that listing.

Let's say you're a good electronics engineer and your dimmer rack caught fire. Imagine trying to explain to the fire marshal or worse yet, a judge and jury, that despite your modifications, the dimmer rack fire was most definitely the fault of the manufacturer and your modifications had no affect on the catastrophic failure. They'll be skeptical, and you'll be the weakest link in the investigation.

Last edited:
I'll happily leave the disclaimers aside, if AND ONLY IF, you have the engineering expertise available to do the fault current anaysis on the modified assembly and can design your modifications accordingly.

If you have that expertise, I doubt you'd be asking questions here...

I'll happily leave the disclaimers aside, if AND ONLY IF, you have the engineering expertise available to do the fault current anaysis on the modified assembly and can design your modifications accordingly.

If you have that expertise, I doubt you'd be asking questions here...

You are correct, sir.

ST

I've seen conversations about taking a dimmer module and bypassing the choke and SSR to turn a dimmer into a non-dim module. ...
IF you've seen those other conversations here, you've no doubt also noticed that there are always several, if not all, posters saying NOT to do it.

One of many reasons:
... However, JD, STEVETERRY, and DavidNorth's comments about chokes contributing to a rack's SCCR rating and that this must be coordinated by an electrical engineer raises another question in my young impressionable and inquiring mind: How then does one ever plan a system with move-around-able R20/CC20/ThruPower modules? Substituting an R20 or CC20 is often suggested as a solution, with no mention or seeming concern for SCCR issues.

It's quite simple. All of those modules have current limiting fuses in them to maintain the proper and required SCCR rating. The same is also true of the D20FB module.

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back