Converting Autocad to Vectorworks + Lightwright

skienblack

So I have an AutoCAD file of the rep plot in one of our spaces and I would like to update it to add new fixtures as well as make some very nice permanent paperwork in lightwright for the space. The problem I am having is once I convert the dwg file to vectorworks all of the lights that were symbols now become collections of lines. Is there any way to tell vectorworks what symbols were used in autocad and mass replace them or atleast have them remain as symbols?

If that fails I will use Autocad to add the lights, is it possible to have lightwright interpret my cad file like it would with vectorworks? This is our black box space where we don't really allow deviation from the rep plot so I would like to make some very complete and solid paperwork that can live there. Currently the space is basically revamped twice a semester(once per show) by the lighting designer/technician to make everything work. And there is little to no communication and no real paperwork or rep patch because everyone is changing it since it hasn't really ever got the attention is needed.

It totally depends on how the lights were plotted in autoCAD. Many people will use lighting symbols that are just a collection of lines and never made into actual blocks. If they lights were made into named blocks, not groups, you might have a prayer. I have not used vectorworks since 11.5, so the actual conversion into spotlight might be an issue. You should though be able to do a replace all of each block with a different block in vectorworks. Getting the physical lights is the easy part, getting data about the light is going to be the hard part. Unless the original plot was done with LD Assistant, your going to pull your hair out trying to convert over channel, inst number, dimmer, color, gobo, and focus data. Pipes won't transfer correctly as well.

All in all, your best bet is going to be to strip all the lights off the plot, import the space into vectorworks, and drop lights back on using vectorworks blocks. Then, you can input all the data in lightwright 5 and it will be all synced up. Its going to take longer then a straight conversion, but you will have a much better product in the end. It really should not take you that long.

Try importing it as a DXF. I know there is a way to save the symbol information but I haven't had to do an import in a while.

Hell if its not much of a plot a quick redraw in VW could be a better way to do it. I find that whenever I have to an import/export between the two it always turns into a headache.

If you just want to use lightwright you can with Autocad. You will need to export the data as a text file with tabs between the fields and then map the import in LW. You may not be able to go the other way because their might not be a symbol matching field but for a one way it should be fine.

Another method is to place all lighting units into a separate layer in VW, keeping scenic elements and positions on their own layer(s). Then gray the lighting unit layer and place new VW symbols on top of the imported symbols. Once you get a match, delete the original A-Cad symbol layer. Now VW will allow an easy link to LW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back