Control/Dimming Converting MPX to DMX

cancolby

Hello

I am borrowing a Leviton 7008 small lightboard to use at a show at school. The board is MPX only, and I need to convert it to DMX. I know about the $100 add-on that you can buy to install in the lightboard, but I was told there is a much better way. I was told there could be an adapter in between an MPX and a DMX cable to convert the signal for like less than ten dollars. I can't find one - does anyone know if this is true and where I can get one?

There is a much better way. If you're capable of opening the board and soldering a some wires to a 5pin connector it's about 15minutes.

Now, I don't have the chip number on me (it's at work) but you will need a P size neutrik female 5pin connector and a molex header (or steal it from the mpx or solder to the board).

All Leviton boards (MC7xxx Series) are ready to transmit DMX from the factory, they just don't have the transceiver chip installed.

Just install the 8pin Transciever chip and connect to the output header. I can get you more info tomorrow if you'd like to e-mail me. [email protected]

If you're borrowing the board, then you should not modify it. The only person who should do so is the owner if they feel it is the proper thing to do. Even if they were to give you permission to do it on your own, you risk damage to their equipment, and I don't know they would be pleased about that.

If I recall it is the TI sn75176
SN75176 Differential Bus Transceivers

The problem is that you then need to add a power supply to the console since DMX does not supply the power to the console like MPX does. The 7xxx series has the plug for these.

There is another set of output pins that you can then either connect a new xlr 5 pin to or move the existing 3 pin xlr to. You just need to remember NOT to plug in mpx to the dmx enabled connection.

On the other end this is how the DDS dimmer packs are also converted, and can infact support both mpx and dmx is you add an additional set of xlr connectors.

Sharyn

I have put together a quick PDF for you with most of the information you should need to get the console transmitting DMX.

It is very simple to do. Open up the board, put the DMX transciever in the empty 8-pin DIP socket, then make a connector for the output. This is a P series connector you will have to connect pins #1,2,3 to the header on the board. Use a molex connector if you have it or you can figure out an easy way to make the connection. Now that you are using DMX you will have to supply the board with power. This is a 12-15VDC power supply with the centre pin positive.

The Pictures are of a MC7024, but it is the same for all the boards.

http://www.dunrose.com/james/NSI MC7xxx DMX.pdf

-James

Ok seriously, if it's not your board, don't follow mc2880's advice! At least, not unless you don't mind losing your position and possibly having to pay for damages. You should stop at "first, open up the board..."

Thanks very much! I'll look into that soon.
Everyone: I'm borrowing the board from a friend who doesn't use it anymore, and he's the one who suggested opening it up and adding this stuff. Before anything, I'll ask him if he wants to do it himself and/or if he for sure approves of modifying it (adding DMX and not removing anything).
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, ok. As long as it's ok with the owner, knock yourself out :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back