Converting Telrad for Spotlight from LED to Fiber Optic

WooferHound

We have 2 of the Telrad spot sights for our Lycian spotlights. Our operators have a hard time remembering to turn them off when they turn off the spotlight. We are always changing out the batteries and in many cases there are not any new batteries within 700 feet of the spot booths.

I was thinking about digging out the red LED from the unit and replacing it with a Fiber Optic strand that is routed to the back of the light and into the Lamphouse. This way the Telrad would be working without batteries anytime that the spotlight is turned on and operating.

So here are my 2 questions . . .
Does anyone know how easy it is to get to the LED in the Telrad and remove it ?
Where can I find some 6 foot long Fiber Optic Strands ?

I suspect it would be easier to hire more conscientious operators.

. . .
Does anyone know how easy it is to get to the LED in the Telrad and remove it ?

You should be able to slide the cover for the batteries back to expose the LED assembly. The emmiter if I recall correctly is in a small plastic housing that has the target screening on the front of it. I remember it being easier to access it through the lens assembly, however, when epoxying the lens back in place, be sure not to get any on the battery cover. (I still have the battle scars from fighting that.)

I would agree that the power supply is probably the easiest option for you.

I would require the ops to bring their own batteries or not use the Telrad. My guys supply their own Telrads or talk another op that isn't on the call out of his. They install and uninstall each time, to preference

I would require the ops to bring their own batteries or not use the Telrad. My guys supply their own Telrads or talk another op that isn't on the call out of his. They install and uninstall each time, to preference

Thats the way it is most places I have worked. You want a sight, you bring it, install it, and take it away. If the ops can't remember to turn off the tel-rad, then the operators don't get it. Usually though most spot ops I know just mooch a bucket of used mic batteries off the sound people.

Thats the way it is most places I have worked. You want a sight, you bring it, install it, and take it away. If the ops can't remember to turn off the tel-rad, then the operators don't get it. Usually though most spot ops I know just mooch a bucket of used mic batteries off the sound people.
And that's a great idea, good use of still good batteries.

I want to eliminate the batterys and not even replace or charge them. I mildly like the idea of making a wallwart power supply for them but that is an extra wire running around the booth and a power outlet.

I really like the idea of the Fiber Optic for this, it comes on everytime the spotlight is on and should be brighter than the red LED which is often overpowered by the stagelighting.

I can probably figure out how to get the LED out of the unit,but does anyone know where to get some Fiber Optic strands?

I want to eliminate the batterys and not even replace or charge them. I mildly like the idea of making a wallwart power supply for them but that is an extra wire running around the booth and a power outlet.

I really like the idea of the Fiber Optic for this, it comes on everytime the spotlight is on and should be brighter than the red LED which is often overpowered by the stagelighting.

I can probably figure out how to get the LED out of the unit,but does anyone know where to get some Fiber Optic strands?

True data grade fiber optic wire trasmits so little light it is really not distinguishable to the eye. Its glass and requires very specialized tools to work with without destroying it. Also, the "wire" is so small that you won't really be able to get anything useful out of it. Now, what we call "fiber optic" wire in the entertainment biz is not really fiber. Its actually just plastic with a fairly low melting point. It does not trasmit light that well and it also does not take heat well. Odds are in the housing of the spotlight it would melt and bubble cutting your light carrying capacity down to nothing. Added to that I doubt it would carry enough light even in ideal conditions to actually light anything.

However, if you want to give it a go: http://www.starceiling123.com/index.php?/End-Glow/View-all-products.html

It would be exceptionally easy to make the telrad run off AC, switched with or separately from the spot. A small power supply capable of this is fairly inexpensive, or one could be even made (easier to just buy one).

You'd never have to worry about batteries again.

That or you just keep spare batteries within reach of the operators, and have them go though running notes that remind them to power down properly after each show.

It sounds like my riggers kept leaving lights on in the cats that wouldn't notice until I shut the room down. A couple of times of me calling them back into work when they were on the way home and they learned to turn the lights off. You make them supply batteries for a while, they will remember to be more responsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back