Corn chips in the booth.

Yeah!

a mini disk is a smaller CD basically. I think the coding is differently, but its a small disk like a CD.

I have no idea where this question came from, or how it got into this thread, but, yea, thats what it is.

We used MD once and it was like a cart. If that is really MD then what is the smaller CD called?

wait, what are you talking about? a mini disk looks if anything like a floppy drive. It is square plastic, and inside that square plastic is a small disk, similar to a CD.

There are also small CD's, which they give out for free when you get the "super-sized soda" or whatever. That is a CD, just smaller (maybe a 2 inch diameter instead of 4). The first is a mini disk, it can hold more data (hours of music) then a CD can. The second one is a CD, just smaller. Its exactly like a CD, except that since its smaller it holds less data (less music).

A minidisk basically IS a smaller floppy. Its total capacity, in terms of bytes, is considerably smaller than a CD. However, audio CDs are generally recorded with no compression. Minidisks were MP3 from the start, with a compression ratio of about 10:1. A song that might occupy 30 Mbytes on a CD (uncompressed) only takes up 3 Mbytes on a minidisk. The recording medium is magnetic, which means it can be rewritten an infinite number of times, where a CD-R can't and a CD-RW can only be rewritten a limited number of times. Because, like a floppy, the disk itself is permanently enclosed in a hard case, it's less prone to the scratches and fingerprints that can make a CD skip. However, because it is a magnetic recording, it can be erased by a strong magnetic field. Minidisks should be kept away from dimmers, distros, speakers and the power supplies of your audio gear.

John

That explains everything. Thanks!

hehehe our box contains the 'emergency box' for when things get a bit tough or boring or someone brings their girlfriend along or in some cases wives (or someone elses!), its just a small coolbox with vodka, gin, tonic, coke, JD and nacho's. it comes in very handy during boring / long performances. and ofcourse the local chinese, indian and pizza takeaway's are on speeddial (they really are!). and were pushing management for a coffee machine of our own, have to go down to the offices to get coffee its pathetic though the office girls make up for it!

your lucky, in my school half the time the vending machines are turned off and we arent allowed in the teachers breakroom to get soda or coffe or food. i have to bring everything from home and because other people from the district use the booth without my presence i cant leave food there that is theoretically not allowed. i think i will start bringing a coffe pot with me occasionally, i have a small metal one and it would really keep me awake during boring dress rehersals for chorus concerts and whatnot. there is plenty of room in our booth for safe eating on surfaces that almost never have gear, and were right next to the bathroom so i can easily run over to wash my hands after eating.

thats probably cause i'm not at school matt i actually work in a theatre lol which makes it compltely stupid as there is no-one checking up on us, bar the police lol. and the coffee thing is a great idea, on a cold icy winter monring it works beautifully, for a lage theatre the heating never seems to work right, too hot in summer and icy in winter. i used the emergency box yesterday actually, drinking G&T with the compan sound engineer cause there was nothing to do, it was a kids show and there were a couple of lighting cues and a few sound cues in a two hour show, they could've used a school for that instead of bothering us.

We are in the process of re-building our booth. We are brining in a couch and table. huge glass window facing the stage. We already have a fridge up there..that was a genius idea i charge people $6 per show for key access to use it.

i love our booth. i have a lava lamp cd player on my side(lights) on my friend peppy(sound ) we have a couch and stuff. we have a microwave, capicino, coffee, and a fridge backstage. im bring a cooler and food and stuff and selling it to the crew. im also going to bring a vcr so we can watch tv over our mointers......whata great booth.

Going back to the mini disc and cd thing...

Any of you guys ever use MP3 cd's?
I have used them, but never in theatre yet. They are really great because you just need a MP3 CD Player instead of an entire computer to de-code the cd. You can put hours and hours on a CD in MP3 format. Though I really prefer an I-Pod Mini! They are so nice and easy to use. I used one for a show once and always have one pluged into the sound system when I am working!

i have a 40gb ipod i use for me when there are no light cues.

yeah me 2 i bought one while over in the states, just a 20gb but still i've only got 10gb of music on it so i doubt i'll fill it up, lol i'm look into getting some lazy boy chairs for the booth that'd just be awesome. and a bigger fridge, our one only holds 24 cans of lager at a time, which really isnt much by our standards. also looking at a microwave that works properly and is silent so i can use it during a show or atleast some other method of heating up food during those oh so long kids shows.

my school system is stupid, and even tho im a sophomore this is my first year in the High School, Last year we had an amazing booth, it spanned almost the entire the back of the cafeteria/auditorium, and gave us plenty of room to just chill when we werent doin anything, and it had plenty of places where one (I) could obtain privacy with my gf. it wasa really nice and brand new. this year our booth is small, big enough to have space for 3 people, but no privacy and no extra room. i wish i could put a couch or something up there but it wouldnt fit. we wouldnt even b able to fit nice chairs or a fridge if the school would allow it.

yeah but if that food is pizza its gets inside the spot which really sucks coming in the next morning to work to clean out food from a grill on the spots. but the one thing i wont work without is good coffee, either starbucks or oddly enough mcdonalds black is quite good for a crappy fast food outlet.

not in the U.S.,McDonalds coffe is disgusting , i usually buy a regional brand called New Engalnd.

i bought kona coffee when i went to hawaii this summer, its strong and reallly good, i have a cup every day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back