Corn chips in the booth.

Food's allowed, we managed to use SGA (Student Government Association FYI) money to get a fridge (muahaha), though we have a line across the middle of the booth across which food is not allowed. Our booth is something like 16'x16', so its all cool.

Okay okay you got me, we never abide by that rule. But we like to say we do!

Well, our booth has this gigantic, massive sticker on the wall that says "No eating or drinking in this area" we still do, we say we are staff and techies are responsible enough to be careful. The hall staff keep on pointing out to us about this but we just be carefuland explain we are allowed, unfortunately, we have to share the booth with the cleaners equiment (which is a bum) buffers everywhere, hoovers, etc but the venue is geting refurbished at the end of 2007 ( yipee :grin: ) so we should be shunted right up to the back of the theatre upstairs instead of down stairs with any luck.

ouch, No door.

Even the local middle school has a booth that has a door.

saxman0317 said:
haha...food.. We have an open deck for sound, so we have a no food/drink policy during shows since its not allowed in the aud, but we slip on the drinks as long as its in a capped bottle. Personnaly, i love my nalgene bottle... But either way. As to skipping cds? I always run my music through the computer and rip it into the hard drive devoted to that just for that reason, less to go wrong..(missing cds, fingerprints, scratches). But, as electronics go, i always keep the cd in my cue book and a cd player spooled up and ready to go just in case. O ya, and food is a right. you have to earn it!

I would say that ripping to your hard drive is a great way to run sound... However i have had the one instance where it ended up being not quite the best thing...

I forget the setup we were using at the time (been a while since i used that system) but we had sound card that fell asleep on us basically when the computer went idle. The sound was playing on the computer and showed that it was playing. All volumes were up and nothing should have been wrong. However somehow when the computer went idle the sound card did too. And when the computer came back from idle the sound card didn't. Waht it required to do was just change the volume on anything software wise on the computer and the sound came back. Very odd little quirk, it showed up the first time durring a movement piece that ended up going off without any music behind it and worked anyways.

There is a strict no food no drink policy in one of the theatres I work in, and my school is slowly adopting one.
Since we went right into production without time to clean from construction of the new building there was so much contractor garbage left in it that people would bring their own food in and it was hard to tell who it was from. (not to mention the incredibly long hours we were working to get the theatre ready for a show we were eating a lot of meals in there by necessity) now we have cleaned it out so there should be no food or drink except water bottles.

Try a booth that doesn't have doors on either side. Both sides are completely open so people just walk through whenever they feel like it. It's really really bad.

1357908642 said:
Try a booth that doesn't have doors on either side. Both sides are completely open so people just walk through whenever they feel like it. It's really really bad.

Or my recent battle... a booth that has doors that lock but an administration that will not give out the keys for them. I have to hunt down custodians to unlock my tech space (which makes Saturday tech days fun because there is no custodial staff).

tenor_singer said:
Or my recent battle... a booth that has doors that lock but an administration that will not give out the keys for them. I have to hunt down custodians to unlock my tech space (which makes Saturday tech days fun because there is no custodial staff).

Getting locked in there is always an interesting time too... Who ever decided to put the door so its locked from the inside needs to be shot in the big toe. :) haha

GV_hellion said:
Getting locked in there is always an interesting time too... Who ever decided to put the door so its locked from the inside needs to be shot in the big toe. :) haha

Now I have very limited knowledge of US codes, but that would sound like a breach of fire code to me.

Chris15 said:
Now I have very limited knowledge of US codes, but that would sound like a breach of fire code to me.

One door locks from the inside, the other locks from the outside. There is always a way out.

Unfortunately the way that is locked from the inside will take you directly to the floor of the auditeria and to the cat-walk for the FOH lighting, while the other way will take you into our school's study hall (which is a good 3-4 minute walk to the stage). Three minutes may not sound like much, but add that walk up multiple times in one tech saturday and you have an hour wasted simply walking to the booth.

At SBHS we kinda cant help ourselves we ignore the whole thing about no food in the booth although we know better. We actually have a coffee maker at this point up there along with our fridge and whatever else manages to make its way up there. :mrgreen:

Our hs's tech booth is actually down in the audience...it's roped off (for some reason our lightboard isn't in the spotbooth). When we're working, we usually eat onstage because there's few places to sit and hang out in the booth (the stage usually has a few couches or whatnot). Or if there's a bit of a play with no cues, the entire tech crew just gets up and hangs out elsewhere, taking obnoxious pictures of eachother, running around the school, etc.

We're allowed to have food and drinks in one of the theatres I work in but I still feel weird about it. I have spilled before on the desk by the light board but I was quick to clean it up before anyone found out so I wouldn't ruin the privledge.

at my hs also our boards are in the audience. just two tables behind the audience seats. we usually put some food by the chairs on the floor. but backstage you have to hide it b/c our director comes backstage all the time and gets hecka mad if theres food on stage.

it's dependent upon the person with the food, if you're an idiot/klutz no food for you!

we always have smoothies and bagels and stuff like that because they cafe is just across the way, so we always run over there. Then while i'm gone, the drummer comes in the tech booth and I always come back to find lights flashing all over the place, and he's just randomly playing with faders and buttons. It scares me, but he hasn't broken anything.... yet. :shock:

Technically there's no food allowed in our tech booth, but I frequently eat up there. The director knows I know what I'm doing, and I'm extremely careful to eat away from the board.

The other theatre I work in I'm allowed to eat on stage and in the booth, but I'm extremely careful. The regular crew/my bosses are all adults and they do what they want, but they are of course professionals so aren't stupid about it. Actors are strictly forbidden from eating anywhere near the stage let alone the booth.

I'm with you Charlie. No eating means no eating. The only thing I allow near my booth are sports bottles with plain water and sealing caps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back