Corn chips in the booth.

First off, I make it a point to clean my booth before and after each show, so that equates to about twice every 6-ish weeks. Having a mess in the booth just drives me nuts, and since I spend enough time there, it is important. So I vacuum the floor, windex the windows, take out the trash, etc. You just have to do it, it is part of the job, and it helps you do your job to the best of your ability.

As for food in the booth, we have plenty of table space that isn't over a console. We (the SM, sound op, and I) keep a bowl of candy. Usually all three of us have water bottles, and quite often (especially for matinees) the SM and I come in with lunch. We have a much more controlled environment though than most schools, our booth is not tramped through by many people, no one who isn't supposed to be there, so it is a lot easier for us to be careful about where food is, and keeping it away from important equipment.

yeah, both booths in my school are very spacious. i've actually come across very few booths that don't have some extra table space. any booth can be organized to have a good few square feet of room. we just re-arranged the main stage booth and added about 3 feet of table space and made everything more accessible. if you have no room you should consider doing an over haul, expansion room is always needed.

does your school do community service for the troublemakers? because i have a very good idea for you. talk to the school and see if you can get a few of the smarter f***-ups to work in the theatre for a few saturdays or what not. over see a nice handy over haul in one or more of the booths. at the very least, you get a new booth, at the most you get some kids, that otherwise would screw-up their lives, into theatre and thus a profession that will earn them more money than flipping burgers.

The last dedicated booth I worked in was in a restaurant/show lounge. The sound guy and the stagehand (who was mostly in the booth) smoked constantly. There was ash all over the place. Plus, they used to drink non-stop (bottle of vodka a night was typical). The booth looked like a scene from Animal House. But they seldom ate. Fortunately, none of the equipment i there was mine. And they couldn't figure out why faders on their brand new desk quit working after 4 weeks of 4 nights a week.

NO FOOD EVER!! I cannot afford to replace equipmnet because of other people's stupidity. It is just better to prevent the situation entirely. WOrking with students that tends to be the best option for me...

... Plus, they used to drink non-stop (bottle of vodka a night was typical). The booth looked like a scene from Animal House. But they seldom ate.

"A man drinks like that and he don't eat, he is gonna die"

I have to admit I tend to be creating booths now as I tend to be putting shows into non dedicated spaces. It means that the booth has to be spotless because the audience can usually see in.

It means that the booth has to be spotless because the audience can usually see in.
People seem to enjoy staring at all the knobs and faders after the show.
That gives me more motivation to keep it tidy.
(don't look at my workshop though, nobody sees that:oops:)

Good god, don't look at my room! Why do ya think I never contributed to the "show us your desk" thread? :oops:

I did one show, and afterwards, a bunch of kindergardeners came over and started watching me in amazement.

Oh, alright I admit it.
My actual "bench" in the garage is crowded with furniture and moving boxes from my Grandmother's apt.
proxy.php

How about a Texas holdem game during 3 nights of the show. Of course it was just the LD and the 2 MEs' one of them being me. Our LD was my lighting professor and it was also his idea!

In our booth we eat popcorn all the time as we can get it free. Customers can, so why can't we? Anyway, I always find once I get in there popcorn is all over the ground, and of course its been smashed a bit. I'm usually the one of the three of our techs to clean it as I just cant stand it for more then 2 shows. I also often find many glasses from when the previous tech was running the show which I always end up taking out.

With the food it does get messy but we at least have a 1x1 ft table with a cup holder for all of our stuff to keep it away from the equipment. I'm also with the guy who made one of the first posts... I doubt I'll ever do a show without my pink lemonade ;)

As for space I'm lucky only one person is in a booth for a show, any more then that it gets crowded. We have a small box that I estimate is 10ftx 4 ft and with 3 ft to the side for the soundboard its more like 7x4. Also we have the spotlight about a foot to the right of where I sit and that sticks in about 1 1/2 feet. Its nice for one person but thats it. I may post a picture as its nicely managed for space but its so small its crazy.

we allow food in our booth b/c we have responsible techs
I know that accidents can happen but as some others have said to get something replaced, it first has to die.~wink~wink~

The whole hot and steamy thing happens in our costume closets(under the bleachers in the neighboring gym)

Our admin could care less about the whole mini fridge,microwave,coffemaker thing
It is scary
I am going into 11th grade and I have had my own keys since november of my 9th grade year. I have free reign of the auditorium.

Yes I go to the tech booth at lunch and other breaks during the day and after school and hang with the other crew members

'No food in the booth' isn't our first rule. Especially when the show isn't a huge one.

proxy.php

This picture is from before a choir show. The number is people is due to training new techies. The water, soda, other soda, graham crackers, and tootsie rolls aren't usually there. Well, the water and the tootsie rolls are, but we're usually a little more careful. The only reason all that stuff is there is that we are all responsible enough to deal with it. And if you do bring food in, you have to eat it at the back of the booth (because ours is huge), and thus away from the boards. You will also notice that everything we have is in the center, where there aren't any boards (and there's another wall thing like the one to the left of the light board, to the right of the sound board).

Oh, and don't ask me why the walls were painted white.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back