Cost to install a camlock?

I'd concur. Some panels on the existing cabinet might have to be blanked but 4 pigtails with NEMA 14-15p plugs and 4 NEMA 14-50R Rece3ptacle s- basically an electric range set up - would seem to run in the $15-20 range each component - so under $150 for all of the parts - plus pipe and wire and qualified install. I "think" Steve Terry would concur. I agree emphasizing the necessity to find qualified personnel to do the installation and modifications. Probably not one or two useable LED units - and they require jumpers and other wiring.

The 30 amp "Dryer" plug/receptacle is about the same price as the 50 amp "Range" plug/receptacle. In fact, often it is sold as the same plug packaged with both blades. Beware of one thing- The "Range" plug/cable set, such as you would buy at Home Depot, is not suitable. This is due to the fact that the cable is a light duty plastic AND although the two hots are gauged at 6, the ground and neutral are gauged at 8. I am not sure why it is listed as UL approved, but I suspect it may come under the "whip cable" exemption. In either case, use the plug assembly with 6/4 SO cable.

As for the connectors not being permitted for stage usage, I am not aware of that and have seen plenty in use. (There may be local rules that prevent their use.) Pin and sleeve connectors are preferable as they are locking, whereas the range plugs are not. Unfortunately, pin and sleeve connectors are also $$$$!

One annoyance of the standard "Range" plugs are that they exit at a 90, so they are problematic in some cases. However, in this case, it is probably an advantage.

One last thing about cams- (This may have been covered before.) They are considered a "tool-less lug" so the same rules apply to plugging in a cam as do to a direct tap. (See- http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting-electrics/18977-cam-turn-arounds.html#post173586)
This is why multi-pin connectors are the way to go.

Last edited:
Can NEMA 14-50 plugs not be used in theatrical applications? ...
I don't think there's anything in the NEC forbidding it; however, the use of the range plug /stove plug / dryer plug has only two advantages (cost and ease of availability) and many more disadvantages. These include:
  1. Only available in a 90° version as JD stated.
  2. If the cable needs to be extended, No cable mount/inline, female, line connector version. A box containing a panel mount receptacle on the end of a jumper is unwieldy at best.
  3. Not really intended for repeated connection/disconnection. How often are ranges/dryers unplugged/replugged?
  4. Often flimsy construction and the strain-relief may not accept 6/4 or 4/4 type SO (and derivatives) cord.

I'd spend the extra money for the Hubbell CS-style, "California Plug". To each his own, as long as it's safe.

The name varies somewhat from region to region, but what Derek is referring to is this:
Reliance Generator Cord Plug — 50 Amp, 120/240 Volt | Generator Cordsets Plugs| Northern Tool + Equipment

They take a lot of abuse.
proxy.php

They even have cable sets
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200596099_200596099

I wholeheartedly agree with you- I like other connectors much more. I just thought of the 14-50 first for the two reasons you list. It's not the most elegant solution, but it sounds as though it's a mixed bag of components to begin with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back