Microphones Countryman E6 windscreens

Ben Kent

Does anyone have a source for reasonably priced replacement foam windscreens for Countryman E6 earset mics? The cheapest I can find is at about $10 each, which is a lot for a tiny bit of foam. Our actors are always losing theirs, and I don't think we can afford to replace them at this price.

The better question might be, do you *need* to replace them? Do you *need* the windscreens in the first place? Is this an outdoor venue or a particularly high-air flow indoor venue? Can you realign mics on the faces to prevent getting excessive "p" sounds?

The better question might be, do you *need* to replace them? Do you *need* the windscreens in the first place? Is this an outdoor venue or a particularly high-air flow indoor venue? Can you realign mics on the faces to prevent getting excessive "p" sounds?

If he has plosive issues the mic is in the wrong place. I've had wind noise from actors running across stage. :(

I have found that we need them. I've tried it both ways, and they sound much better with them. TimMc is right, they seem to pick up wind noise just from movement. They seem pretty sensitive to that.

The Countryman windscreens do seem to be expensive, but they are built very differently from the generic replacements-- they have a plastic cap built into the screen that fits snugly into place on top of the E6's EQ caps, holding them on much better than a piece of generic foam. Unfortunately, during quick costume changes, even these get pulled off and lost from time to time. I like AlexDaVila's suggestion of tying them on. I'll have to give that a try...

I've always used generic replacements and then orthodontic rubber bands to keep them secure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back