Countryman mics staying on head

Bgarrett74

hello,
I am currently using the countryman e6 on an actor and I am having a hard time keeping the mic on his ear. I tried using the h6 on him but his head must be larger than most. The h6 would keep coming off his ears which puts the mic further and further on his face. I would tape it and even use elastic cable to keep it on but the frame would always spring off the back of his head. I then decided to try the e6 and just tape it to his face the best I could. Last night the e6 started popping really bad. The e6 is only a week old and it seems like the mic connection is already bad. I might have to go back to an h6 for opening tonight but if I do I want to make sure it stays on.
Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
Thanks,
Brent

My understanding is that the e6 is not moisture resistant, and is notorious for connection problems ... if you cannot get an H6 to stay on and have tried bending the wires, then maybe move to a B3.

I have also used just a metal coat hanger, something that you can cut and bend fairly easily, but its stiff enough to hold its shape under rough handling. The plastic wire looks nice, but a coat hanger may be a good cheap first step to see if the concept works.

Unfortunately I learned there was no magic to mounting mics, just some good ideas and plenty of practice on your handiwork :)

Last edited:
Make sure the cable is taped on the back of the neck with adequate cable for the actor to fully rotate their head, so the cable is not pulling the mic off the mount. When using earsets, make sure the "clamp" part of the set is snug around the ear too. A piece of tape just below the ear will also help keep the mic closer to the face and from swinging or bouncing around as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back