Courtesy Tab

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
The first 1" of tape folded over on itself to make a 1/2" 'appendage'. This allows one to easily remove the tape at strike or load-out, or for repositioning. Most often used with gaffer's tape when taping or labelling connectors, but can and should be used anytime (everytime) tape must be easily removed. Saves technicians from ruining their manicures. When taping stagepin (2P&G) connectors, tear off about a 6" piece of gaffer's tape, and fold each end over to create a 1/2" tab on each end, then place the tape in line with the connectors. Note that if the male pins fit loosely in the female connector, the pins should be split using a pin splitter or knife before taping. For round connectors, tape around the circumference of the connector.

derek, i'm not sure if i like your description for how to use it on connectors, or perhaps we do the same thing and i'm just not understanding you. but what i do it take a small bit for each side of the connector, and the fold over a small edge (just enough to pick up easily with my fingers) and then put one piece on the female and one on the male. this way i don't have to take the tape off if i want disconnect anything temporarily.

My description was for 2P&G connections that should not be taken apart. Your description is for connections that will be taken apart. Two different purposes, two different methonds. I use both, and probably you do too. I dislike taping connectors together, as spreading the pins when done properly should keep them together, but if I'm ordered to tape the connections, as some MEs insist, I'll use one piece of tape for labeling and taping, with tabs at both ends.

ah okay, i do use both. but i only tape connectors together when they're going to be in a walk way, it sucks when they come apart because someone tripped over it (more so when the particular connector is covered by carpet...). sorry, i simply misunderstood what you were going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back