Courtesy Tabs

Dost thou useth the courtesy tab or nay?

• Total voters
...To avoid confusion as to which lights have and have not been focused, I put little tabs of folded orange spike tape on all my over-the-stage lights. As they are focused, pull the orange tabs. Why no one thought to do this before I joined the staff, I have no idea. We used to have problems with a light getting focused for one piece in February, then refocused for another piece in April. That doesn't happen anymore.
Most Corporate Show electricians with whom I've worked use yellow e-tape to denote spare circuits, unassigned mults, and "active hanging spare" fixtures. Where the convention started, I have no idea; but it's easy to identify and troubleshoot.

In your LW4 file, you can display the Focus Status column on all sheets, and toggle the unit's focus status: Focused, Partially Focused, Not Focused. Combined with the units Purpose, I find it a pretty darn good way to keep track of lights.

This would be nice if I ever got any kind of documentation from our lighting designer. Unfortunately I don't even see a plot for my over the stage lights until a month or two after I've hung them. Our Technical Director is also our Lighter Designer, and he definitely takes a very make it up as you go along approach to lighting. So, in order to make my life a little easier, I just hang an assortment of 50 degree Source 4's and Parnels over the stage, so that when he finally does decide what he wants to do, I don't have to take time off from other projects to hang a couple of lights, because there's already something there.

Fortunately, when it comes tome to hang the bowl plot, or my outdoor fixtures, I am given an actual light plot. But still, its a little at a time. The plot grows as we hang more lights. It's a very inefficient way of doing things, but unless we get a new LD, which is not likely to happen anytime in the near future, things will remain more or less as is.

With upwards of 30 scene changes during a performance, we use a lot of spike tape in pretty much any color that exists. I end up replacing maybe 2 rolls of spike tape a year, which brings me to my question Sean. How big are your spikes? 10 to 15 rolls per show seems a little excessive. I replace all of our tape spikes half way through our run. I do not use courtesy tabs on my spikes.

"L" shapes around 1"-3" long with 1/2" colored gaff spike tape. Once the show opens they usually get painted with paint markers, and the tape is removed. Like I said in my post, the spike tape is LEAST used for spikes. Stage Management uses it for actor paths backstage, labels on prop table.....and to tape out the floorplan of the set in the rehearsal hall.

We used to have problems with a light getting focused for one piece in February, then refocused for another piece in April. That doesn't happen anymore.

Um, paperwork? Don't you have any of this information written down?

--Sean

"L" shapes around 1"-3" long with 1/2" colored gaff spike tape. Once the show opens they usually get painted with paint markers, and the tape is removed. Like I said in my post, the spike tape is LEAST used for spikes. Stage Management uses it for actor paths backstage, labels on prop table.....and to tape out the floorplan of the set in the rehearsal hall.

Okay, that explains it.

Um, paperwork? Don't you have any of this information written down?

--Sean

We do now, but before I came onboard, only in our programer's notes. Now we do a better job of keeping track, I think in part because I've gotten on my boss' case about it occasionally. But I find the Orange tape to be a useful shortcut. Its nice to be able to tell at a glance what's already been focused. And, as the only two people who focus lights for the Pageant are me and the LD, I don't have to worry about some new overhire tech not understanding the system. Granted, if we did our hang and focus in a more traditional matter, rather than spreading it out over 6 months, I would probably not need the orange tabs, but we all work with the hand we're dealt.

Question for the masses;

To courtesy tab or not ? that is the question. Whether 'tis nobler in the mind of the ME to leave a little hangy piece of tape, or to make it clean. For when it is time to shuffle off with the electrical coil, is easier to pull tabs of tape wrap or whip out the multi-tool and slicing end them? For who would tabs abide when thier inheirent nastiness doth give an uncomely appearence unto the cables of sound and light?

In sooth, when all of thine tabs be identical in appearance and application, presentest they most professionally to thy patrons.

To answer thine question, yea verily I use courtesy tabs.

...I find the Orange tape to be a useful shortcut. Its nice to be able to tell at a glance what's already been focused... Granted, if we did our hang and focus in a more traditional matter, rather than spreading it out over 6 months, I would probably not need the orange tabs, but we all work with the hand we're dealt.

That's as maybe, but there's nothing wrong with doing everything you can to stack the deck in your favor... ;)

That's as maybe, but there's nothing wrong with doing everything you can to stack the deck in your favor... ;)
You haven't seen the Kevin Spacey movie, 21, have you? The House frowns on anything that it considers might give the player an unfair advantage.:( How do you think we pay for all the extravagance?

You haven't seen the Kevin Spacey movie, 21, have you? The House frowns on anything that it considers might give the player an unfair advantage.:( How do you think we pay for all the extravagance?

I haven't seen the movie, but I have the book they based it on: Bringing Down the House. If you're going to use a system you have to do it by yourself, you can't use any computers or other devices, and most of all... you can't get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand it when people ignore the courtesy tab. This year, that is the very FIRST thing that I taught to all of my shop students, even before I even told them my name. It makes strike so much easier!

Oh, how I try. In a theater situation where we have many days/weeks to build and all that, yes always, or beatings ensue.

Yet, nearly all the other crazy stuff I am involved with, I employ miles and miles of electrical tape instead of gaff and tie line. No tabs, unless you count a knife as an alternate version of the 'courtesy tab'.

People hate me for it, but, 1) that's what I want and 2) they're paid by the hour so they can shut it! :)

E

I do every once in a while, but tieline is what I use most. Plus, in a high school setting, if there is a tab, someone's going to pull it. (even if it means unwrapping it completely)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back