COVID-19 and our Industry

Not glossing over the personal devastation many are struggling with. Just saying you folks as an industry are still making a difference. News crews, Avid’s clips, Arete Custom’s face shields, ETC is making something, NAMM Webinars, free trainings, Bill Cronheim and many more helping keep people home for Easter, CB Event/Training Calendar................

There have been 3 funerals in Brooklyn of ultra-orthodox or Hassidic members of the community. They just ignore the need to have large gatherings, each funeral has had hundreds or a thousand or more. This is impossible for the police to control or stop without a riot, so they just stand back. And this isnt confined to one religious group, it’s happening in many churches across the country among the more ”dedicated”. I suspect many will ignore restrictions tomorrow in Easter Sunday. I’m like OK, just don’t come crying when you have a huge surge of CV victims and DO NOT be using the local hospitals where you are risking the lives of the nurses and doctors. Go die in your own home.
The folks who can't practice their faith without being in large groups will be contributors to the 2nd wave of infection. which will cause another wave of social distancing. Today I was going Krogering and passed a church, the marquee reading "rely on faith, not fear" so I presume they'll have Easter services tomorrow and funerals in May.

Looking at the back to normal timeline for the industry, Burning Man was scheduled for August 30-September 7 and has now been canceled.

Looking at the back to normal timeline for the industry, Burning Man was scheduled for August 30-September 7 and has now been canceled.
They start moving stuff onto the playa at least 90 days out, IIRC. Cancellation is likely because they can't build the foundations of Bedrock in time for Fred and Wilma's arrival.

Last edited:
The folks who can't practice their faith without being in large groups will be contributors to the 2nd wave of infection. which will cause another wave of social distancing. Today I was going Krogering and passed a church, the marquee reading "rely on faith, not fear" so I presume they'll have Easter services tomorrow and funerals in May.
While there are idiots that will do their own thing, not all eggs are bad. If people care at all, they can make it work. The church I attend and volunteer at is doing their best to adhere to the guidelines. They record everything at once in one night, as opposed to rehearsal one night, then meet again Sunday to record or live stream. The band is minimal and just a couple vocalists instead of 5 or something. They are spread out more than they normally would be. One camera operator instead of two or three. There may be more than 10 people there at times, but they are not all in one group and stay separate.

While there are idiots that will do their own thing, not all eggs are bad. If people care at all, they can make it work. The church I attend and volunteer at is doing their best to adhere to the guidelines. They record everything at once in one night, as opposed to rehearsal one night, then meet again Sunday to record or live stream. The band is minimal and just a couple vocalists instead of 5 or something. They are spread out more than they normally would be. One camera operator instead of two or three. There may be more than 10 people there at times, but they are not all in one group and stay separate.
And your body count is low... look at the pic in @SteveB 's post - hundreds or thousands of people assholes to elbows. Not singling out this particular sect of Judaism, but it's illustrative as to the pull of religious fervor over the rational part of the brain and it's common to "true believers" regardless of individual sect or creed.

If one believes in an almighty creator, give him/her/them some credit for giving us thinking brains...

At my ELCA Lutheran Church, the Pastor decided to close the building to all activities a full day before the Governor debuted his orders. Communion was cancelled the week prior. I'm proud of the way it was handled and that church members accepted it without complaint. We believe in God's gifts of science, medicine, and learning. In fact, I've known several university science professors who were members, over the years.

I've been recording and editing church videos since the shutdown, and we've limited each session to four persons, including me. Nobody gets closer than 6 feet. We do a music session in the organ loft first, and then a liturgy session later, to allow a few more participants without crossing paths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back