COVID-19 Event Cancellations

What Rigger?

I'm so fly....I Neverland.
SXSW just cancelled the whole thing withing the last half hour or so.

To be fair to SXSW, the City of Austin basically told them they had to.
But this means we don't know when the 4K remaster of "Rad" will see the light of day! Priorities, man!

First case's in upstate NY is in my county.... so thats fun. We've already lost 3 events.
Just had a case announced in our county, at the military base on the other side of the county, like 45 minutes away

I'm seeing a ton of freelancers in the industry rightfully freaking out about lost income from show/event cancellations. Is there any group organizing any sort of relief for these guys/gals? I'm a HS TD and we're just starting to get wind of the possibility of cancellations here. I saw in CA they are banning gatherings of 250+ and in about 4 weeks that will be all we do with our public shows, concerts, band/chorus/orch, graduations. I just was about to make a big lumber purchase for our spring musical build and I'm holding off since I don't know if they'll cancel it on us. It's wild, but I know I'll still get paid either way, but if there's a way to donate to help people that are in limbo I'd like to get behind it, even if it's a little.

And definitely don't ban Bill for his opinion LOL That was my opinion 100% until my wife yelled at me and explained all the stuff that Dave was talking about. I do agree the media loves a good scare story, but this thing also looks pretty rough. @RonHebbard I hope your trips to the hospital are boring and uneventful! My dad who is in his 70's is shutting in and riding it out. I'm keeping myself and my 8 year old germ factory away for the time being.

Moving notices about event cancellations here.

Houston Rodeo and concerts cancelled. That's gonna hurt several Houston-area production companies and a huge number of vendors.

Our church meets at a middle school on Sunday mornings. The school system just shut down till March 20th. Working on contingency plans. Short term we can worship with a sister church nearby, but that won't work for the entire church body. I will probably end up shooting video of the sermon on Saturdays to post up on Sunday. It's gonna be an interesting time!

Our health department just shut us, the other large venue and the arena in our city down for as long as 60 days, we're waiting on statements/mandate from the governor in about 10 minutes to see what the state response is going to be, but sources are saying that Ohio is about to get shut down.

We've lost 1 broadway tour, a symphony week, an opera week, a high school musical and a high school dance show along with 4 traveling kids shows which will impact our sales next year because we'll have to offer these cancelled students vouchers for other shows.

I will probably end up shooting video of the sermon on Saturdays to post up on Sunday. It's gonna be an interesting time!

I just had a chat with my boss at my church. We are looking into livestreaming. I know some people turn their noses up at churches particularly finances, but a cancellation of a service constitutes a significant loss of income. Kind of by random chance we have been digging into setting up streaming potential and he just so happened to have rented a few cameras for us to try out so we're actually kind of set.

I have experience running YouTube livestreams for a backstage feed for our big music concert back in December here at work, so I'm hoping it won't be that different.

Governor of Oregon Shut down all gatherings of more than 250 people for the foreseeable future. Mayor of Portland just declared a citywide emergency.

I heard Barkley on CNN this morning advocating for shutting down March Madness all together, not just eliminating audiences.

I heard Barkley on CNN this morning advocating for shutting down March Madness all together, not just eliminating audiences.

The players are a commodity and to be protected. Can't do that if they're on the court. Also a bit of a problem if you have to pay them to play but don't get any revenue at all from the arena.

But seriously, how did the Utah Jazz get their hands on 58 tests. That's 0.7% of all COVID19 tests done in the United States.

The players are a commodity and to be protected. Can't do that if they're on the court. Also a bit of a problem if you have to pay them to play but don't get any revenue at all from the arena.

But seriously, how did the Utah Jazz get their hands on 58 tests. That's 0.7% of all COVID19 tests done in the United States.
Right,
The NBA suspended the rest of the season. So far the NCAA has only cancelled all fans for the March Madness games.

EDIT:

Correction. All Broadway theaters shut down until April 13. Effective 5pm tonight.

Attachments

• 1584037711950.png
    1584037711950.png
    85 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Governor of Oregon Shut down all gatherings of more than 250 people for the foreseeable future. Mayor of Portland just declared a citywide emergency.

My wife and my 7 year old daughter were going to Frozen on Saturday at the Keller - would have been her first professional theater experience. She's going to be so bummed when we tell her it's off. She even got new earrings and an Elsa cape :cry:

The school district in Portland also canceled all non-classroom activities for at least 30 days - which is most if not all of the school productions around here.

EDIT: And, even though our play isn't until mid-May, all our rehearsals and tech are also on hold until further notice. We thought we might be able to keep going with limited parents since the kids are in school together all day anyway, but no dice. Not as big an impact as most of these closures, for sure, but for the kids this is a big time bummer.

Last edited:
Interestingly, Gov. Cuomo imposed limitations. The theaters decided to close down entirely, possibly from lobbying by Equity.

A spokesman for “Sing Street” said, “Nothing has been decided yet, in terms of when Broadway reopens.”

Actors’ Equity has been pushing for the shutdown as the union’s members are concerned about contracting the virus. “Equity is driving this,” said a producer. “If actors don’t feel safe, they don’t have to perform.”

Along with Broadway going dark, classic music fans will be shut out, too, as the New York Philharmonic announced today that it has canceled all of its concerts immediately and through March 31. “As always, the safety and security of our guests, musicians and employees is a priority,” the organization stated.

MLB has suspended Spring Training games and pushed the start of the season back 2 weeks.

The Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland, Oregon has cancelled shows for the next 4 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back