Creating 3D Lightning Bolt Effect

I just Google lightning bolt on stage. Much to my amazement it stated: The best way to produce a convincing illusion of lightning on stage is not to use an illusion at all, but to use the real thing: a real bolt of lightning.

Apparently this is actually done on stage and various other venues. Needless to say I won't link it or even describe it because it is using millions of volts and goes on to state that if it strays and hits you, you will be dead because it is actual lightning.

Scary!

Apparently this is actually done on stage and various other venues. Needless to say I won't link it or even describe it because it is using millions of volts and goes on to state that if it strays and hits you, you will be dead because it is actual lightning.

It's probably done using a coil named after a certain Serbian-American physicist. If so, it's a mostly high frequency, so while a stray bolt may not kill you, you will get stunned pretty badly at best!

Now the transformers and capacitors that are responsible for powering them on the other hand won't hesitate to deliver a lethal shock.

Last edited:
I found the same link. I was going to mention it but didn't want to be scorned by the health and safety police who patrol this forum.
I could always try it...

I saw that when I first read the post, I was going to suggest it but.... I decided not to. There are 3 methods one did talk about coils other two about wires ;)

I built a tesla coil for a production of Frankenstein. Not sure what else will throw that kind of spark. It was great fun to build and threw about a two ft bolt - great effect during 'that scene'. However, the setup requires a lot of protection for people and equipment - especially digital dimmer equipment - i fried one pack's mother board. To build one requires hard to find parts, lots of labor, and a lot of arcane electrical knowledge. And even if you buy or rent one, they are very dangerous! I had to be at every performance.

Hi,

I'm working on a production which involves having a tree struck by lightning and crashing to the ground. Currently, we've designed the mechanism for making the tree split (including pyro placed behind it for the spark), however we're still spinning ideas for how to achieve the lightning bolt effect.
An initial suggestion was to project a lightning bolt gobo (using a strobe) onto the cyclorama behind the tree. However, the director wants the audience to actually see the bolt appear in thin air.

My proposal is to have a scrim placed directly behind the tree and then project onto it using either a gobo or a standard HD projector. This, in theory, would create a sense of depth between the tree, lightning bolt and cyclorama (which will be lit with a dark blue from the bottom).

The only problem is that we dont want the lightning pattern to duplicate on the cyclorama. Does anybody know of way to avoid this problem? Perhaps the effect could be projected from an angle...?

Also, what colour should we use for the scrim? Will the strobed gobo look realistic on the scrim?
There will be other trees placed in front, creating a forest setting.

Many Thanks,

Ed

Hi I would just like to know if you just so happen to have foreseen this vision through because I could really use your help

With the Audio a strong powerful high/mid "Crack" followed with a small space, and the Low Frequency "Boom"

Place the Crack in the speaker close to the Tree location and the Boom in the Sub's Shake the Floor on the Boom
Teh Crack should be sharp and hard like the Snare hit, It provides the ears the location to look. With the Crack is the Strobe flash.

I’m not sure if this is still applicable but was thinking of how to create an actual 3D effect on stage, as done by the WWE when the undertaker enters the ring and lightning strikes the 4 corner posts. It use to be gerbs on wires coming down / but now have changed into actual lightning bolts.

To simulate this I was thinking of using side emitting fiber optic cables (like the ones used for lighting up swimming pools) with a few strobe lights illuminating one end. As the strobes flash the light travels down the fiber optic to the tree.The fiber cable is transparent and not really visible on stage and won’t cause a shadow.

The hardest part would be manufacturing a hood that would attach to the front of the strobe light to hold the fiber optic in place and not leak any light when it’s activated.

You would need more than a hood... Most conventional strobe lights use physically large lamps and the light they produce is spread out over a large area. The optics of gathering a significant portion of that light and injecting it into fiber are not trivial. Could be interesting to see, though. I wonder if there are any products intended for photography or another market that might be closer to what you need for optics?

Also, for anyone who decides to dig up the old article describing a practical method for lightning: it's worth noting that the writing has a very theoretical tone throughout. While there is some merit to the ideas, I wouldn't assume it's a tested approach.

Or, maybe it has been tested, and that's the reason the author hasn't provided any updates in the intervening couple of decades...

You would need more than a hood... Most conventional strobe lights use physically large lamps and the light they produce is spread out over a large area. The optics of gathering a significant portion of that light and injecting it into fiber are not trivial. Could be interesting to see, though. I wonder if there are any products intended for photography or another market that might be closer to what you need for optics?

Also, for anyone who decides to dig up the old article describing a practical method for lightning: it's worth noting that the writing has a very theoretical tone throughout. While there is some merit to the ideas, I wouldn't assume it's a tested approach.

Or, maybe it has been tested, and that's the reason the author hasn't provided any updates in the intervening couple of decades...
Not 3d but back in the 1970's we managed to retrofit PAR 40-ish strobe lamps into the reflector cavities of three Strand Pattern ( Oooh, my memory's hurting) 263 ellipsoidals. One ellipsoidal projected the upper half of a lightning bolt while the remaining two projected either of two alternate bottom halves. When fired in rapid sequence they were quite effective on the Stratford Festival's main theatre's thrust stage in the days when the audience wrapped around 220 degrees. Imagine the three lamps positioned as high-angled back lights.

The first three were so effective, they were soon joined by three more for even more fun and merriment.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

I will say what I said back in 2013. Tesla coil is the only way to go.

However holographic film is another way to go. I could ask how it works at work as we specialized in doing this tomorrow if this thread takes off.

Not 3d but back in the 1970's we managed to retrofit PAR 40-ish strobe lamps into the reflector cavities of three Strand Pattern ( Oooh, my memory's hurting) 263 ellipsoidals. One ellipsoidal projected the upper half of a lightning bolt while the remaining two projected either of two alternate bottom halves. When fired in rapid sequence they were quite effective on the Stratford Festival's main theatre's thrust stage in the days when the audience wrapped around 220 degrees. Imagine the three lamps positioned as high-angled back lights.

The first three were so effective, they were soon joined by three more for even more fun and merriment.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
I thought I’ve seen a S4 strobe conversation kit with a small aperture put into the gate. Of course the effect would have to be timed correctly.

I will say what I said back in 2013. Tesla coil is the only way to go.

However holographic film is another way to go. I could ask how it works at work as we specialized in doing this tomorrow if this thread takes off.
I hope this post stays up, I’m planning on opening a Tesla museum at Niagara Falls and would prefer to use the same effect without the dangers of a large coil, but simulating the “lightning” static discharge going around him while seated in a chair without zapping equipment and/or people. Also the sound effect would have to be done with some VHE speaker array drivers to avoid blowing cones.

I thought I’ve seen a S4 strobe conversation kit with a small aperture put into the gate. Of course the effect would have to be timed correctly.
@Jim Missall Stratford's groups of three were fired manually by the LX board operator actuating a horizontal row of three momentary push buttons with his left hand while clicking his "GO" button with his right, the strobe bump buttons fired the strobes as fast a Alec Cooper could fire them.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

@Jim Missall Stratford's groups of three were fired manually by the LX board operator actuating a horizontal row of three momentary push buttons with his left hand while clicking his "GO" button with his right, the strobe bump buttons fired the strobes as fast a Alec Cooper could fire them.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard
Thanks Ron
I was thinking of something that once GPI triggered would automatically run without any operator intervention. The fixtures would feed fiber optics (top with several subsequent sections stepped in sequence, then a mid, and branched out lower part).

Thanks Ron
I was thinking of something that once GPI triggered would automatically run without any operator intervention. The fixtures would feed fiber optics (top with several subsequent sections stepped in sequence, then a mid, and branched out lower part).
@Jim Missall Tom Fay and TPR Lighting and Fibre Optics were doing basically this in 1999 using six or more synchronized illumintators with a combination of internally rotating twinkle wheels and internally rotating gobo wheels cut to illuminate selected strands of end lit fiber in sequence.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Am I really far off to wonder if pixel tape (like from City Theatrical) on the tree could be the second part of the fx? I think it can get pretty bright, even without doubling. They are easy to talk with about wild ideas, and know their stuff well. Let us know what you end up doing ... even post a link to video clip so we can see.

That is correct,with scrim.
Nothing like a good necropost to read and reply to. Possibly the OP's following along from Heaven or Hell, looking down or high o'er head and squinting to see up this far? You can never be certain.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back