Conventional Fixtures Creating pure white light with a tungsten fixture

techietim

Hi All,

Quick question for you, is it possible to create 'pure' white light using a conventional tungesten fixture - as they naturally have a warmer light.

I guess I would need some kind of gel/filter?

I got the idea from the coloured lights in this video,
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

though I guess it is possible they're LEDs, can't quite tell. (The back lighting into the audience is what I'm referring to)

Thanks! :)

There's no standard definition of " 'pure' white light ". Add a CTB colour filter (Lee Filters 201, 202, 203, or similar in another manufacturer's line) to boost the color temperature of your 3200K incandescent sources. As with any subtractive filer, there will be some loss of intensity.

There's no standard definition of " 'pure' white light ". Add a CTB colour filter (Lee Filters 201, 202, 203, or similar in another manufacturer's line) to boost the color temperature of your 3200K incandescent sources. As with any subtractive filer, there will be some loss of intensity.

Could we define "pure" as a continuous emission spectrum that appears white, like what comes from a tungsten source? Because there are definitely sources that look white but do not have the whole spectrum in them, like LEDs.

Could we define "pure" as a continuous emission spectrum that appears white ...
Based on that definition, the tungsten source is already the "purest white."*
proxy.php

Light emitted from a carbon arc source probably comes in second.

*Other than sunlight:
proxy.php

(depending on atmospheric conditions/time of day/season, etc.)

A long time ago I designed a production of Gaslight. It was all about color temp.

The base "white" got warmer throughout until dawn came breaking in for the rescue. All white light!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back