Creating Shadows on Stage

Hello, part-time lighting designer here. The show I'm working on has a fair amount of plastic sheeting around the stage (US /behind the set, and over the entrances to the stage) and my director wants to have shadows from behind the sheets. I'm wondering what the best instruments would be to do this? The spaces are all rather shallow, and I've seen a number of posts suggesting Fresnels but we don't have any in our inventory. The shadows also don't have to be clear, but we'd also like to avoid hot spots on the sheets. Would cyc lights work? Or is it better to use something like a source 4 50 degree?

The Linnebach Projector type device is one way to do this. What you need is a lamp with a very small filament, no lens and no reflector. That is enclosed in an enclosure to reduce spill that is open on one side where there is a "slide" It could be thin metal with the shadow pattern cut in it. It could also be painted on glass. This technique used to be done with Rosco Colorine.

Linnebach would still be a great way to achieve this effect.

Ok, I admit I came here to say I know a lot of lighting designers that are really good at putting shadows on stage.... :rolleyes:

Yes, Linnebachs are fun (but bulky) and yes, the tiniest point source with no reflector or lens (a single, bright LED is nice) will yield best imaging, but it sounds like you don't need that, and honestly the difference is negligible regardless for shadow making with people (more on that later). Use any source you have that's wide enough. I'd use that 50deg S4 happily - flat field to minimize hot spot, shutters may be useful to control spill outside your sheets.

The size of the source and its distance to the screen determines how much travel your performer has between the two while staying reasonably in focus. This makes a tiny point source ideal, but a run of the mill stage fixture can work as long as you understand that the ratio of (distance from source to person/puppet/whatever casts the shadow) to (distance from person/puppet/whatever casts the shadow to screen) determines how sharp an image you'll get. Keeping the source to screen distance constant, moving your performer closer to the screen yields a sharper image and also a more life-scale image. Moving closer to the source makes the image grow in size and lose sharpness.

Keeping that in mind, sharpness also has to do with the dimensionality of what's casting the shadows (if we're being picky, which it seems we don't need to be). Shadow puppets are usually flat because, among other reasons, keeping all their details in the same plane allows them to all have the same degree of sharpness. Using people's bodies instead, you're going to compromise there, or in reality probably the way the dimensionality and movement of those bodies affects scale and focus will become an expressive part of the performance.

So, take whatever you've got to work with and spend a little time experimenting with placement for image characteristics and minimizing hot spots (try to avoid showing anyone a direct line of sight through the screen to the lamp, and use the least transparent screen material that works).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back