Credits ?

Dustincoc

Lighting by: vs Lighting design by: ...

What's the difference?

Depends.... If i am lighting something like a meeting, or a random event and they want to give me credit... I usually go with lighting by. If I actually designed the whole thing... then you need credit for design. Sometimes you don't want people to think you actually designed a frontlight at 80 and a backlight at 80 type of event...

What about if you designed it, then did everything exept run the board by yourself?

What about if you designed it, then did everything exept run the board by yourself?

Then you are the designer. A board op is the board op, and should get credit of being the board op. In real world situations, usually the day after a show opens the designer is on a plane to the next gig, real designers never run or touch their boards.

What I'm talking about is the hang/focus/circuit/ ect.

Would it be lighting by: or lighting design by:?

What I'm talking about is the hang/focus/circuit/ ect.

That is the master electricians job. The designer calls the focus (point the light there, make cuts here, etc... but never touches anything). If you were given a plot, hung it, got it working, focused it where the designer told you to... then you were the master electrician (though I prefer to be called a production electrician, which is the same thing but does not step on some peoples toes who have a legit master electrician license). Now if you made the plot, hung in, circuited it, focused it, programmed it, and then let someone else run it you are the ME and designer.

Now if you made the plot, hung in, circuited it, focused it, programmed it, and then let someone else run it you are the ME and designer.

This is the situation I am describing, Would you put Lighting by: or Lighting design by: in the program?

Then you are the designer. A board op is the board op, and should get credit of being the board op. In real world situations, usually the day after a show opens the designer is on a plane to the next gig, real designers never run or touch their boards.

Not always true in the music biz. Some designers tour the show. Not all, but some.

This is the situation I am describing, Would you put Lighting by: or Lighting design by: in the program?

I would either put both ME and designer or Lighting Design. I would say go with the "bigger" title, and if you have room or they will give you another line, go with the other one as well.

If the show is a charity event then I suggest no credit or a fictional one as you will spend the next month fending off calls from every charity in town to do their show, beware.

If the show is a charity event then I suggest no credit or a fictional one as you will spend the next month fending off calls from every charity in town to do their show, beware.
speaking from expriance there allthings?

It's the annual student produced show, although I could use a few gigs outside the school it they'd let me...

You have to get permission from the head of the department and have a certain GPA within the department and outside it to work on none school shows. It's terrible...

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's legal.
Yeah it is. He is going to their school and participating in their program so he has to play by their rules while in it. The university I go to has the same limitations.

Just because more than one school has these limitations doesn't mean that it's legal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back