Crew music

soundop

Ok guys, every crew has diffrent styles of music they play when working, list your crews fave styles/bands

Some of ours are
When building-classic rock/metal/techno/rock (ac dc, darude, alestorm, showdown, dracula from houstin, great big sea, okgo)
when on break we play jhon mayer/eagle eyed cherry, more laid back styles

Ok guys, every crew has diffrent styles of music they play when working, list your crews fave styles/bands...
Silence is golden. No music of any kind, unless played by the band or to check the PA. This industry is too dangerous to permit aural distractions. An old stagehand says he can tell if something is wrong with a counterweight system just by listening to the arbor run the T-tracks, or the winch motors.

When I am in a shop, I have to have music on. If I am working a hang, I usually turn on music while the pipes are still buried. The carps here tend to do the rotating ipod thing, personally, you will never see me in my shop without my headphones in listening to podcasts. Just got the last 300 or so episodes of This American Life, so it could be awhile till i run out of stuff to listen to.

When just doing a normal construction day, we have either someone's ipod or the TD's online radio stations or an FM station. For rig, no music, too much communication going on. For strike, no music, too much communication going on. But for regular build/work days during the week, it mainly depends on who asks for music first/who has their ipod/if the TD already had the radio or internet hooked up to the speakers.

When just doing a normal construction day, we have either someone's ipod or the TD's online radio stations or an FM station. For rig, no music, too much communication going on. For strike, no music, too much communication going on. But for regular build/work days during the week, it mainly depends on who asks for music first/who has their ipod/if the TD already had the radio or internet hooked up to the speakers.

Basically same here, except no one really remembers to bring in their Ipod and speakers, so most of the time we go with no music. Also, poeple aren't really allowed to listen to their Ipods, its dangerous if their in thier own little world and we can't warn them, or tell them things.

Music helps me think and makes boring things more enjoyable. We usually have some sort of CD or iPod playing when the band is not rehearsing, but when we have a CD or iPod its usually not on loud, just a little above store music volume.

I agree with Derek, no music on. Too distracting. Shop time is different. I usually stream Last.fm bebop from my pc. Radio stations are too generic.

I am also going to agree with derek, music makes it harder to communicate, can distract from work, and personally just gets stuff stuck in my head once we turn it off. I prefer no music

The only time we play music is during a regular shop day, which normally consists of set construction and lighting. If it's focus, tech week, strike, or anything not just a normal day of building, we will not play music.

That said, about the only rule we have for music in the shop is NO SHOWTUNES. If you want showtunes, go work in the costume shop.

The only time we play music is during a regular shop day, which normally consists of set construction and lighting. If it's focus, tech week, strike, or anything not just a normal day of building, we will not play music.

That said, about the only rule we have for music in the shop is NO SHOWTUNES. If you want showtunes, go work in the costume shop.

I like having music on whenever i work, even homework. I find that this will keep my creative side at bay, and keep me focused on what i am doing. I find that i get distracted by wanting to be creative. If i have to really pay attention to something, music has to be deafiningly loud, as to block out all other noises, or no music at all. I am a firm believer that ipods should be allowed in school.

and not to be rude, but using ipods in a shop?!?! That sounds crazy to me. I think that it requires more concentration to run a saw then any other situation in which you guys frown upon ipods.

rant over.

When I work at the local theater, it varies greatly from frank Sinatra, to heavy metal, to off the wall techno. oh, tfactech, I like all the music you play.

On weekends or crew hanging out and getting things done for a show we always put on wild 94.9 a hiphop station cause thats how we roll. But if it was tech class or something no music except for the couple of us on crew, we were allowed to listened to our ipods.

first thing i do when im working is get some music going. i usually have a few cds or my ipod. most of the stuff ive done recently has been small, mainly just been me so music doesnt really matter. in high school we had music playing for construction but no music for strike for safety.

We don't play music a lot, usually only on Saturdays, but when we do, we have a few standards:

It's Raining Men
Monkeys in the Basement
Convoy

After those, anything that's not heavy rock (or worse), some alternative rock,and techno. And then there are some of the random things that get put on occasionally.

No music, need to concentrate and anyway since nobody lets me play my Bhangra and Desi CD's no-one can play anything else.

Think of Black Sabbath covers played in Bhangra.

Due to some issues with music in the past, our shop does not play any music during work time. Almost everyone in the shop has headphones in or some of those fancy sound dampening headphones. This way no one argues over taste in music.

During my hang and strike calls, if I can find a boom box (as they roam around the building) I'll put on some music, but as soon as we get into any rigging or other work that requires more communication than following a hang tape the music goes off. I have found that some good music makes my crews a little more efficient, and it spares me from having to listen to them attempt to sing or hum or whatnot.

My old high school plays a lot of Floater. They're a local band, from Eugene but they live up in Portland now, and we have a tradition of playing their awesome song Cinema at every cast party.
At my college though, we usually just put someone's ipod on shuffle and see what happens. Usually end up with dance music or folk rock...or a weird combination of the two....

****, wish I remembered that band's name D:

General shuffle when I am running pre-show lists (pre-call, generally alone due to the magic of community theater). Mostly country. Once people show up I entirely agree that there are distractions enough without music-or bickering over music.

When I am working by myself, I tend to pop on some serious punk/hardcore music, just loud enough that I can hear it, but not loud enough that if I am speaking, others cant hear. When I am working with others who want different music, I pop on lady gaga until they ask me to turn it off. Its usually fairly effective. I hate it when during strike, people come in with their ipods and headphones, figuring its fine, nothing will fall on me. Those tend to be the people who sit under my ladder, it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back