Crew music

In reply -> we certainly do not use i-pods or such during load-in/load-out or strike. You need to be able to hear eachother and easily communicate.

In our theater, for the above reason, we do not play music, (if we do it's at a very low level), when rigging/hang/focus of lights. When working together, it's easier to turn the music down and not having to yell to eachother.

We do play music when we are only cleaning up, placing things away. Then it's mostly 80's/90's

I am STRONGLY agreed w/the no music camp. It does not belong and causes problems. I love music but there's a time and a place and working in the theatre space is not one of them.

There are too many things going on and it gets in the way of safety, concentration, communication, and simple awareness of others. Especially annoying are those with ipods/headphones. They are in their own world and have NO awareness of what else is going on while they circulate around the deck taking care of their own things. Can't hear questions aimed at them and it adds a layer of "'scuse me, pardon me" shuffling every time anyone gets near them. Pyro safety especially requires absolute quiet. Actors offstage, backstage conversations stop or go elsewhere - all distractions go away.

When Sound has a reason to run signal, test speakers and levels, of course that's fine. But he is very aware of everyone and just great about being sensitive to what's going on before he'll do it. If he has extended needs for making noise, he'll try to schedule it during breaks/lunch for others.

The above is about being in the 'space' working onstage and in it's environs. Back when I was in the shop we had low level radio or CD's on at a low level - people rotated their preferences so all were ok. Saws would drown it out but when no power tools were running it'd be there in the background. Problem was the level would quickly rise (people would inch it up) until we'd have to just kill it due to the same issues. :cool:

Cell phones are another issue. I am close to just collecting all of them during electrics calls. You can have 'em back during breaks and afterwards. I've lost count of the times I've found crew sitting on their butt, OR UP IN A BUCKET) futzing with a phone while they are getting nothing done. Time and a Place. Of course, I am the hypocrite and mine stays close to me. It's essential to the job I am on payroll to take care of. My personal stuff gets ignored til later, but it's the lifeline to other dept heads, SM's, late arriving crew. I was gonna say 'don't get me started' on phones but I guess that didn't exactly work out!!!!

:cool::cool::cool:

For lighting? Rush. I heard the DVD of their "Snakes and Arrows" concert at least twenty times this summer. What is nifty is having a computer with iTunes playing music up in the booth, and an iPod Touch with the remote app, so you can control playback and volume from the stage or wherever you are in the building. That along with speakers all over the building makes for a great system. We also listened to Sky.FM and WCBS (via internet radio from New York). I didn't like Sky.FM, but WCBS is pretty good.

At school we mostly listen to show tunes (not my first choice). "The Rocky Horror Show" soundtrack is popular:))). Also "The Color Purple" :)(). But when anything potentially dangerous is going on (pretty much anything that has to do with the flys), the music goes off.

I tend to agree with a lot of the statements made here, as SM myself. I generally tend to not allow music to be played during any set builds/workshops, Rig up /strike.. purely for the fact like most have said, it's far far too dangerous to have distractions, such as music, headphones, mobiles etc etc..

and above all that communication is key. I have rules in place that nobody carries anything like mobiles, except SM, LT or TD.. for commuication during the get in and setting up safely.

We allow people to carry cell phones. If they manage to get signal, they even get to use them! Something about 3-4 feet of concrete and steel and dirt kind of keep any cell service out of out theater space. I dont think we have had a problem with people using cell phones in our theater, or techs using them, ever. I agree with the music being just loud enough that a saw will drown it out. Thats a fairly good measure, imo.

In a shop setting putting on music can assist with work, if managed correctly. In my old shop we swapped off who got to put on a CD, or when they started coming around somebody could plug in an IPod. We kept the level low enough that you could hear someone if they were calling you from across the shop or talk to you normally if they were standing next to you. Usually I find paddy rock/punk to be the best to work to as the beat keeps me going but that is a personal choice.

That being said the idea of music playing in a theater during a load in, strike, or really any other time is amazing to me. Who in their right mind would cut off their own ability to communicate while heavy scenery or lighting equipment is above your head?
"We are very sorry Mrs. ****** we tried to warn you husband, but that great solo from 'November Rain' came on. We think he died happy."

Cell phones are another great way to get hurt. Exceptions made for expecting partents, or somebody with a family emergency they let me know about before the day begins. Other wise leave it with your gear.

I'm in agreement with the no music during load-ins, load-outs, strikes, and electric calls. When communication is a key there should be nothing to distract you. I've noticed that the music has become less of a problem and cell phone usage is on the rise. Especially in an academic setting. I've banned cell phones in my shop unless you have prior approval through me or if you're a supervisor on duty while I'm out shopping. Otherwise, don't even bring them into my shop.

During shop hours it's a little different. It really depends on what we are doing. Paint calls can have music going on as much as they want. In fact, if it's just painters I'm fine with them wearing headphones. But building is another thing entirely. Low level music where communication can still occur is fine, but if it gets too loud it goes off. I hate having to repeat myself.

I don't mind low level music in some stuations such as paintingm, I will not allow headphones in any situation. I find headphones to be rude and terribly distracking. I would rather have louder music than headphones. Cellphones are a huge problem, I carry mine if I'm running the crew. If I'm a crew member then it stays in my bag and I check it at break.

TECHNO. So Much TECHNO. we usually play it over the sound system with all moniters possible and let it blast the theater will spine tingling bass drops and blood curdling dubsteps. ITS AMAZING. and we mess with the lights and make a light show( as you can tell me dont get much done, but its enough to get a show running lol). But since actors are haters we usually only play it during tech calls....Personally i dont listen to the actors and i tend to turn it up louder.

TECHNO. So Much TECHNO. we usually play it over the sound system with all moniters possible and let it blast the theater will spine tingling bass drops and blood curdling dubsteps. ITS AMAZING. and we mess with the lights and make a light show( as you can tell me dont get much done, but its enough to get a show running lol). But since actors are haters we usually only play it during tech calls....Personally i dont listen to the actors and i tend to turn it up louder.

Lol, that sounds awful. Oh, to be in high school again.

Not to be a downer but this is how systems get damaged...

Not to be a downer but this is how systems get damaged...

To light bulbs(or whatever is the Derek-approved word is), to speakers, to amps, to those who don't like techno(like me), your actors respect, your teachers respect, and your productivity. But, your in vegas and I'm in Washington so...do what you want!

I personally like listening to music when working, except the only time I listen to music in the theater is when I don't have anything better to do, and that doesn't happen a lot. Don't ask what kind of music. It's pretty random, and just things I like...that I didn't have to pay for on iTunes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am with Footer. There is always music (or a game) on the in shop. As long as everything is decked on a hang then music is okay while we hang/circuit. I always listen to music when I am programming.

No music for rigging, weighting, or focus.

Scenery guys always have music going unless they are rigging.

Music is chosen by the most senior member of the crew, who can pass that honor along to any other crew member they would like.

most of the times on hangs/focus (since for the past few years it has been only myself in the theatre after regular hours. Often it's tom waits. it is a requirement now that every focus I have to play "what's he building in there" YouTube - ‪What's he building in there?‬‏
going back to an old friend's ritual that came out of him walking in on his old TD during a focus, with a dark theatre, just one light on, that playing and just the knowledge that somebody is in there somewhere, but he had no idea where the guy was. so it has just become a thing now.

during crowded hangs or strikes, its silent, if we're painting, classic rock or anything at random (no show tunes) it all depends on the space and whats going on.

I don't have a big problem with music while working, within reason, meaning volume and content. What does not happen is headphones or buds or music when guys are in the air. I don't have flys in any of the theatres that I work in but I would extend that to guys throwing weight.

-When my crew comes in early all we listen to is Frank Sinatra.
-During building we either listen to Pandora or last.fm.
-Definitely no music during focus, hanging, or weighting.
and definitely NO SHOWMUSIC

-Patrick

This year, one of our stage managers made a set of stage crew CD's. It was pretty much a balance of classic rock and showtunes. Other than that, our set designer/adviser sets his stereo up everyday and we either listen to a rock station on the radio, or he'll play cast recording of various shows. It's definitely an interesting mix of music.

We listen to pandora during light hangs, room setups, etc. But as soon as anything overhead starts happening the music is turned off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back