Crew music

We usually only listen to music when we're cleaning out the shop or when we have free time. The person who controls the music in the booth really likes country music, so we really don't have a choice of what to listen to. :p Thankfully, almost everyone likes country, so no one really complains.

on my last tour we had a few "every day" songs. "Give it to me baby" by Rick James and "Sledgehammer" by Peter Gabriel were the songs I most enjoyed played daily.

//Of course I'd focus my ML's during lunch and when it was a house line array I'd make the room shake with some Deadmau5 or Justice...

Whenever I'm working alone, I keep all music off, because I need to hear if anybody knocks on the door (or if somebody sneaks in who is not supposed to be in there).

With full crew, we listen to all of the music from previous dance shows, and tons of classic rock and dubstep.

However, as has been discussed, there is no music when rigging or focusing.

(or if somebody sneaks in who is not supposed to be in there).

Off-topic story, but we had a movie night in our college theatre at the end of last semester for those of us who are paid crew. There were only three or four of us there, and we had all the lights off, the movie up loud, projected on the cyc. Maybe half an hour in, we hear a noise behind us. Of course, none of us had a torch on us, so by the time my TD found one we had seen four or five shadows sneaking out of the PAC. Needless to say, the doors were then locked. How they knew we were in there, I have no idea.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

we had seen four or five shadows sneaking out of the PAC.

I've had this happen too many times to count. That's why I generally have the auditorium silent when I'm there, ESPECIALLY after school, because for me it's easier to tell who it is by their voices than actually having to see them :)

From experience, a) any music in a performance venue is probably still going to be considered a public performance even if it is only two people listening, so all rights issues probably still apply and b) be careful of what you play when others are around. I've seen the latter be an issue more than once in venues where there may be other users, clients, etc. present at times. The company I worked for some years ago almost lost a major client when when of their female executives walked in and took exception with some of the video used during the system adjustments. The images were scenes on a beach from a test and setup disc that Sony provided and were hardly controversial, but all that mattered was that she took personal offense at being 'subjected' to them.

From experience, a) any music in a performance venue is probably still going to be considered a public performance even if it is only two people listening, so all rights issues probably still apply and b) be careful of what you play when others are around. I've seen the latter be an issue more than once in venues where there may be other users, clients, etc. present at times. The company I worked for some years ago almost lost a major client when when of their female executives walked in and took exception with some of the video used during the system adjustments. The images were scenes on a beach from a test and setup disc that Sony provided and were hardly controversial, but all that mattered was that she took personal offense at being 'subjected' to them.

And be careful where that music is going in the building. I was in a large community building that had a theater, and we weren't listening to music, but the mics we were using to talk to each other were being played into the "lobby"(hallway that connecter two sides of the building) and a cafe, and I believe a community room, as well as the orchestra rehearsing.

Electronic, Techno, Industrial, Rock, Classic rock and such.
Personally, i recommend VNV Nation to anybody who is open to a new form of music. Their rhythms ad synthesis give me chills when i listen to them.

Shop Music

What shop music motivates your work?

I'm partial to anything Built to Spill.

Re: Shop Music

Depends on the occasion.

For carpentry I've always enjoyed 80's music, but while drafting I find Drum 'n' Bass to be strangely motivating. Other times I generally just prefer no music at all, especially on load outs, and lighting hangs.

Metallica for welding
Daft Punk for electrical work
Good old Rock n Roll for build days
Focus is LD's Choice
Hang is ME's Choice
Rigging and Loading is the golden sound of silence

Albannach usually makes an appearance when I'm working alone.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I'm definitely in the minority in saying that I enjoy silence. Most people I think feel uncomfortable without a million things appealing to their senses. I take advantage in the silence before a stage full of musicians show up and start clanging around on their instruments. When I'm driving home I tend to ride in silence too, unless I'm tired and need to stay awake by steering wheel drumming. :)

When we're doing things, I'm ok with no music. If I'm just waiting for actors to arrive, I'll usually find something to play. I'll play just about anything if someone specifically requests it, I don't have any personal preference.

For safety reasons, I like no music at all when working on stage. For the next show, I'm pushing for a no phone policy too. During last strike, I caught someone holding a flat with one hand and texting with the other.

And I have a piano policy too. Anyone who wanders away from their task to start playing with the piano gets the dirtiest job I can come up with. I swear I'm going to put a lock on that %@##%@%# thing.

Last edited:
For me, it really depends on what is going on. For a paint call, or if I'm focusing or working alone, I'll almost always play something. It tends to keep things moving. However, if anything is happening overhead or anything that could be remotely dangerous is underway, I won't allow music. Our shop favorites tend to be modern show music or 90s-early 2000s pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back