Control/Dimming Cross Connect Patch Panels (slider patch)

For all of us oldsters, remember the cross connect patch panels before one to one dimming? Well it seems they are still out there, especially in High Schools. My questions are: 1) what is the best method of use, i.e. connect with a live load or giggle it afterwards to make contact?
2) recommended maintenance on the panels? Take apart and clean contacts? (We all know that replacement is the answer, but some places do not have the funds.) Or just use spray cleaner?
3) Parts? Resources?
4) Where might one research and find the orginal manuals on an Electro/Controls cross connect patch panel?

:)

...4) Where might one research and find the orginal manuals on an Electro/Controls cross connect patch panel? ...
I'm not sure there ever WAS a User Manual for much of this type of equipment. As for service options, see Service and Repair.

Hot patching a slider system is the worst thing one can do. Arcing is bad, and can lead to premature failure of this 30-40 year old equipment.;)

For more discussion, see Ariel Davis Lightboard, specifically http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/lighting/6069-ariel-davis-lightboard-2.html#post162027.

Last edited:
As far as EC slide patch systems, what is your question. I have four locally still working. There was a manual, although I never saw it, because I had a drama teacher told me she spent two hrs with the manual learning to use it. Then she asked me to teach her how to use a leko. :rolleyes:

Arcing on slider patch systems was the #1 cause of their failure
The busses can be cleaned (i have used a dremmel tool and jewlers rouge)
On pin and plug patch systems extrememly fine sandpaper and brass-o was all we used at Ward Lenard to clean themup back in the day

I serviced many of these EC "Quick-Connects" in the '70s and '80s. The preferred method was to disconnect and dismount the entire unit, lay it on a flat horizontal surface, and remove the front face of the unit to expose the horizontal bus bars. Some units had shims inserted, so you have to use care not to lose or displace them. Another method we used more often was to service only the load sliders, which is where most of the trouble is anyway. Use a wooden wedge about 1/2" wide to pry open the vertical slots and remove the load slider (this only works if the slot is long enough, maybe 30 or more busses). The load slider can then be inspected and cleaned. I often added an extra spring for more contact force. Don't use any electronic contact cleaners, especially not WD40, as they'll make the plastic parts brittle. A little dielectric grease works well to lube the contact plunger and the conductive surfaces that slide on the vertical rails. When you re-insert the slider, you have to depress the contact plunger slightly as you slide it towards the end of the slot to get the contacts to engage the vertical rails properly, but you'll get the hang of it pretty fast.

Needless to say, you need to make sure all power sources (all the main dimmer/non-dim breakers) to the QC panel are turned off before attempting any of this. The 20A breakers on the QC panel are only for the outgoing load wiring, so they don't need to be switched off.

Have fun and I'm glad it's you and not me doing this!

Hot patching a slider system is the worst thing one can do. Arcing is bad, and can lead to premature failure of this 30-40 year old equipment.;)

].

I know someone who got shot across the room hot patching a slider system.

To your first question - ( assuming EC slide patch) I was taught that first you turn off the breaker on the circuit. Then you move the patch to where you want it and ( if necessary) jiggle it a bit. Then you turn the circuit breaker back on and test. If not connection turn it off and jiggle a bit more.

On all of the EC slider patches I worked with, the circuit breaker was adjacent to the slider .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back